General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
zyepod
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought the same thing. That being said my wife and I have decided to dress safer and try to exercise every precaution I can... My wife likes to ride as much as I do... As a matter of fact she works all our routes and navigates... I just drive... It's great...

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading your and all other post, I concur you are not ready. You have been given some excellent information. Starting slow and taking it slow. Questions for you, thou:
How long have you been riding?
Have you let your wife sit on the bike?
Have you practised her getting off and on the bike?
Has she asked questions about the shifting, levers, anything?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a little bit of concern the first time I took my wife for a ride as well. No shame in being concerned and taking appropriate precautions. One thing I suggest which worked well for me to get over the ******* was to make the first ride in the parking lot that I practice in. I did a few slow speed turns, some start up turns, a few emergency stops, etc. In other words, all the things I might need to do on the road under real conditions that a) I might not be familiar with riding two up and b) That she needed to feel so that she wouldn't think it was anything out of the ordinary. After that, I felt more comfortable and she felt ready to go and off we went.

Bill

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Damn, a non-rider reading these posts would think we believe that we are riding Zeroes on a suicide mission during WW II. If I was this paranoid and fearful about the dangers of riding a motorcycle, I would have stopped over fifty years ago. I bet some of you are a real ball to hang with. NOT.

Uhhhh.....................greed.

We used to 2 up on a mini bike in the 60's. Shur, couple of scrapes, maybe even gouges or gashes, but we lived. NOW, I don't mean ya should go out lookin' for 'damage', but for Heaven's sake, it's a 'scooter', and you be the 'rider'.
Momma is one of those 'scatterbrains' referred to above. She wanted to ride. So, put her on a 250 Zook, jus' like the one Tima jus' bought for his wife. Turns out, she 'thinks' differently on it, than in her cage.
THANK,GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She rolls outta the "Men's Crisis Center" this spring, on her own Sporty.
Oh, she's underestimated curves, JUST I did. Had close calls, JUST like I did. And nobody jerked my card. We ALL learned sometime.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
My biggest problem would be if my wife caught me toting my girlfriend on the back of mine. At that point I would be taking MY life into my own hands!!
LOL @ that one~ Life's a risk................
My wife loves riding with me, hell it makes my bike ride a lot smoother when shes behind me!

Attached Thumbnails riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?-dark-ride.jpg  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you're road wise and not just starting...than enjoy having her ride along with you

Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Like many females, my wife gets easily distracted. You know, the ones that can't go 5 miles from point A to point B without pulling out the cell phone, playing with the makeup, daydreaming, etc. IMO her chances of survival on 2 wheels are much better if she's sitting behind me.
I love it.....

Yeah, my wife tried riding a bicycle and then went out and rode into a moving Honda Civic. No chance she rides her own motorcycle but she does have a sport quad and does ok on 4 wheels. In the meantime she makes a great pillion and I hardly know she is back there.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You take someone else life in you hand everyday one way or the other, so I would let her get on, start out slow till you get use to riding two up but there nothing like riding with your woman on the back.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO I think I ride safer with her on the back. It is up to you on how you feel with your ability to ride. If you know your a good rider then there is no problum.

JMO good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by rak1
I was just wondering how you feel about taking someone else’s life in your hands when you ride. My wife wants to ride on back with me but I want her to take a MSF course and get her MC, and own scoot. I know it sounds funny but I'm having problems taking her life in my hands because its one thing to crash, but if I hurt her or worst that’s something I don't know I could handle. She has told me she completely trusts me but you know what can happen while riding. how do the rest of you do it?
Nice thing about her taking the MSF class actually TWO nice things
1) she will have a better understanding of what you are doing, and might be calmer as a passenger
2) God forbid, should anything happen... she could ride the bike

My wife rides her own.... but as asked above.... you take her life into your hands when you drive a car.... risk is risk......

Quick Reply: riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?