General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Like many females, my wife gets easily distracted. You know, the ones that can't go 5 miles from point A to point B without pulling out the cell phone, playing with the makeup, daydreaming, etc. IMO her chances of survival on 2 wheels are much better if she's sitting behind me.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rule #1,,,,, on 2 up...
NO Nuts on butts~~~~

Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it would be a great idea that she take the MSF course regardless. This way she will learn the do's and dont's when riding either behind you or beside you.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn, a non-rider reading these posts would think we believe that we are riding Zeroes on a suicide mission during WW II. If I was this paranoid and fearful about the dangers of riding a motorcycle, I would have stopped over fifty years ago. I bet some of you are a real ball to hang with. NOT.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
HDXXX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I ride two-up all the time. 90 percent of my riding is two-up. She actually trusts riding on the bike more than riding in the car with me.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like its not her thats the problem, its Your fears.

Couple suggestions.. First ride...5-10 miles MAX. Easy back roads, and moderate to slow speed. thei allows YOU to get used to having a passenger.

Second ride, Add a few miles. You will feel more comfortable than the first ride.

As you add miles, and you feel more confident about having her with you, add some variations to the road. Maybe a short hop on the freeway, KEEP IT SHORT, 5 miles is probably good. this again allows YOU to feel and understand the differene in how your scoot handles two up.

Don't make the mistake that some guys have made and try to force her onto her own bike. You will regret that decision in a very short time. Encourage her, but never push.

Most important rule...YOU have to relax, and simply pay attention to your riding. Explain to your wife that you want her to simply sit still while the bike is in motion, so you can get used to the additional weight on the bike, and tell her to not put her feet down, until you say its ok.

Same with getting her on the bike. YOU get on first, and support the bike. YOU tell her when YOU are ready for her to mount, and Dismount. This way you aren't surprised and have much less chance of dropping the scoot .

Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My biggest problem would be if my wife caught me toting my girlfriend on the back of mine. At that point I would be taking MY life into my own hands!!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
frankjake
Road Master

To the original poster, I hate to say it but it doesn't sound like you are all the confident with your riding skills. If you are not confortable with a rider on the back, don't do it!

You also gotta think of your wife's feelings. Maybe she isn't confident that she can ride a motorcycle. So your idea of getting her own wouldn't work either.

Looks like you two have some talking to do.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured out a long time ago that there are people in the world who are just "fear based" and live their life that way...those people don't understand why I ride, and they definitely shouldn't...I don't try to explain or rationalize with them, but I don't want one of them on my bike, no matter who they are...

It's like my best friend says, "It's in the blood or it's not"...

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
jagator
Road Master

If it bothers you that much don't it. If all you think about is putting the bike down you will.

Quick Reply: riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?