Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help My Dad in Denver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey, you sure that I'm not your dad and where is my Harley?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
SciFiGuy - Thanks a bunch. I missed that T3RG school in my search. Ya know, It's my dad's bike, but that wouldn't stop me from crying over scratched up chrome....oh yeah...his injuries, too haha I'll look into the motorcycle cops, too.
I can't help you, him being in Colorado, but, I would like to say thanks for being such a caring son. Refreshing.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
humbuster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check a local HOG Chapter, I am sure he can find a member to help him.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats on doing something this good to pay back your Dad.

If he was riding 20 years ago, he will be all right on that RK now. And don't cry if he drops it and puts a scratch or two on it. I know none of us on this forum have ever dropped a Harley but, hey, someone has to start it.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Send his butt to Fla and I'll get him a class here, have them year round here. Also have an extra bike he can ride once he is done with the class. He needs a break from the snow anyway.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

I believe you can download the MSF course and what they will be teaching you. Your Dad could also just practice very near his house...I did that with my Wide Glide and I had never ridden. I just did the basic stop, start, braking, turning and strayed no more than about 6 blocks from home. Little to light traffic where I practiced. Put in about 4-4.5 hours and by the time I got to the MSF course and the smaller bike, it was actually pretty easy.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

I'm in the Golden area and if he wants to get out on a ride, let me know. While the weather hasn't been too bad (other than the wind), there is a lot of gravel on the roads. Has he joined a HOG group?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
I bought my old man a 2009 Road King for Christmas this year, but made a critical oversight. I knew he hadn't ridden in 20 years or so and the MSF/ABATE courses are shut down until April.

I know my dad will take the bike out and was wondering if anyone had any solutions, knew any MSF coaches, or any Vets that wouldn't mind taking my dad under their wing a little.

Any ideas?

Yeah. Give your Dad a little credit. Except for a few short rides on friends' bikes, I hadn't ridden since the 80's. Bought my sporty last chrismas and a lowrider in sept. Between the 2 I put close to 10000 on. I was told that as I ride it will come back, and it does. Guys like me and your Dad didn't live this long by being stupid. BTW, I am up for adoption, really want a heritidge classic. Don't worry, he will be okay and kudos for you for making his dream come true. Hooah

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Correct me if wrong. Have him go to the DMV to get the permit (written test) then he's legal to ride. He may just find out that he still has the MC endorsement from years ago and the MSF course is not required.
As for practice, can't learn much by sitting and watching the TV or computer screen (we'd all be pros by now).
I figure it's pretty much like riding a bicycle except for the what to watch for (stupid people) and how to approach them.
You were also asking about vets? Is your Dad a retired Vet? If so, has him check the Airforce base up the road for a course, it's free.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
pastaman
Banned

It was 30+ years for me. Never even touched a grip between the time. Got on that SG at the dealer and road away like it had only been 30 months. He won't have a problem!!

Quick Reply: Help My Dad in Denver?