General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to borrow cam chain tensioner install tools...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I need to borrow cam chain tensioner install tools...

I have decided to replace the stock ones with the same for financial reasons...

If anyone has the special tools I need to do this and is willing to let me borrow them please let me know. I am more than willing to pay shipping both ways and I have a shipping place right across the street from my house so I will ship back immediately. Let me know via PM or in this thread. Thanks so much.

I jsut ordered the parts last night from Zanotti so I do not know how long until it will be where. I am figuring a week to two weeks.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you doing just the tensioners or upgrading the chains also? I used a pair of grips to rotate the tensioners and slide small double headed nails into the holes to hold them back away from the chains.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
anubisss
Banned

Originally Posted by Scurvy Jack
Are you doing just the tensioners or upgrading the chains also? I used a pair of grips to rotate the tensioners and slide small double headed nails into the holes to hold them back away from the chains.
Tensioners, lifters and bearings...Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Are you also upgrading the cams or just the cam bearings? If you have the service manual it tells you what you have to do. You'll have to heat up your cam plate to get the old bearings out, a torch works good. On my stock plate, the front bearing stayed in and the cam pulled out of it, the other the bearing was pressed onto the cam so it came out with the cam.
I upgraded to an SE Billet plate and oil pump, plus new cams but stayed with the chain drive. As far as specialty tools, there are alignment screws that you need (2) to make sure the oil pump is setting right when you tighten up the screws for it. There's a guy on EBay in the San Fernando Valley that is selling them for $13...you may be able to get them from a dealer also. Look under Oil Pump Alignment Screws. I'm waiting on my set from him so I can finish assembling my 103 I'm building.
With new lifters make sure you soak them in new oil for a day or so, that way they'll work like they're supposed to. Look at www.hqperformance.blogspot.com for a couple of articles on prepping lifters.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 AM
anubisss
Banned

Thanks Jack. I'll check it out in the am...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I've done the job completely with improvised tools and it worked fine. A nylon lever to open the tensioners and nails to hold them open. The metal wire from a large binder clip and some strong kitchen magnets to hold the lifters. The right size sockets for pressing in the cams. Free your inner MacGyver!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
garyb
Intermediate

If you replace the inner bearings you can get a blind bearing puller from autozone or advance for free.with a deposite,you get the deposite back when you return it