General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle beach spring rally update

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badwhine
calm down and let us stroke our feathers. Myrtle beach doesn't want us? Uhhh? Or is it the working tax paying folks of Myrtle beach that have had enough? Enough defined as? Dew rag idiots pissing urine in our yard, the roar/sound of some idiot doing a burn out at 3 a.m. Old grey haired morons stripping off their clothes and thinking they are sexy? Hmmmm?

While the above may be true there is still a problem with your synopsis.

I grew up 60 miles from MB and Myrtle Beach is, always has been, always will be and is NOTHING more than a Vacation/Resort/Getaway City/location. Take away the millions of vistors from Memorial day to Labor and the entire area dies.....and goes back to being what it was 30 years ago....you see, Years ago the entire county shut down during the Winter months from December til April. Stores closed and not a eating establishment anywhere open except the lone 7-11. There were a scat few hundred year round residents, then all of the Snow Birds and Golfers decided it would be a great place to retire.....hum retire to a VACATION City.....yeah that'll give you peace and quite. As with any such destination, people, noise, traffic and yes even some problems that is what you put up with during "the Season".

Not to mention those home owner tax payers you are talking about are only paying a TINY part of the areas tax bill less than 25% total and they (as in any town) strain the government services of far more resources than they pay for via taxes. It is as any City Leader will tell you the large retail properties taxes and the SALES Tax that pay the bills......hum

Of and BTW, DEW is something that is wet and on your lawn.....the thing on your head is a DOO Rag

Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never gone to Myrtle Beach but some of the crew (4) go every year. None are going. We are making plans for Americade.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Pig
While the above may be true there is still a problem with your synopsis.

I grew up 60 miles from MB and Myrtle Beach is, always has been, always will be and is NOTHING more than a Vacation/Resort/Getaway City/location. Take away the millions of vistors from Memorial day to Labor and the entire area dies.....and goes back to being what it was 30 years ago....you see, Years ago the entire county shut down during the Winter months from December til April. Stores closed and not a eating establishment anywhere open except the lone 7-11. There were a scat few hundred year round residents, then all of the Snow Birds and Golfers decided it would be a great place to retire.....hum retire to a VACATION City.....yeah that'll give you peace and quite. As with any such destination, people, noise, traffic and yes even some problems that is what you put up with during "the Season".

Not to mention those home owner tax payers you are talking about are only paying a TINY part of the areas tax bill less than 25% total and they (as in any town) strain the government services of far more resources than they pay for via taxes. It is as any City Leader will tell you the large retail properties taxes and the SALES Tax that pay the bills......hum

Of and BTW, DEW is something that is wet and on your lawn.....the thing on your head is a DOO Rag
I agree with what you are saying but you have left one thing out of the equation, which is the local Municipal Code. Many of these locations operate outside that code and this is where those taxpayers that don't pay it all have a big leg to stand on. Then, to add to this, what percentage of the clean up do the businesses that take all that seasonal cash in pay?

I used to live down the street from a high school football stadium that wasn't supposed to have any impact on us home owners when it was built. Yeah right!! They would have a big event and you couldn't park in front of your own house. Then, the trash left behind didn't get picked up by the city but rather, the home owners, what's up with that? I can see both sides of the issues on this one.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 PM
cdale976
Road Master

Screw Mertle Beach Laconia likes bikes and the people that ride them
hill climbs
racing
drinkin
and beautiful country
I don't need no MB none of us do

Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Been to MB, Sturgis, Laconia. Probably won't go back to MB, not because of the pissing war but just because. I live close to Laconia and don't really care for it but I usually stop by each year....in fact I think it sucks. I absolutely loved Sturgis and will definitely go back sometime. Never been to Daytona, but would like to get there just once. Never been to Americade and I live close by that also but that's more of an extortion event in my eyes because they charge you admission to the vendors. I want to get to Gettysburgh bike week and Del Marva just for something to do sometime. To me it's more about the riding. Most rallies are pretty much the same damn leather saddlebag and rally t-shirt vendors anyway.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Motorcyclist are creating their own problems with noise and rude behavoir. Failure to regulate ourselves has brought the heavy hand of big brother and increased enforcement. Arrogance won't fix the problem.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 AM
classic53
Tourer

I guess what everybody is saying that since the "city" is pissed off at the bikers, that the rally should move or cease to exist! Um, what about Daytona? Didn't they try to quell the rallies a few years ago? Do any of you still go to Daytona? Me personally, I enjoy the riding along the Grand Strand and all of the outlying areas. There is so much to see and do outside of the city of Myrtle Beach. Enjoy riding the back rodes? There are a plethora scenic roads in the outlying areas. Jeesh, don't give up because one little town doesn't want bikers. Sure, some are bad, but the majority of us are not. That's what laws are for! Just like cagers! Nothing different in my book.

But this is a free country. Enjoy your riding where ever you go. To all who plan on attending the spring rally at the "grand Strand", enjoy yourselves and be safe.

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down
07 FLHTC rider going to the rally at the "Grand Strand"