Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coated Solid FATBOY Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Way more cost effective to powdercoat than 'new'.
NEVER seen them 'ALL' coated, just the center area with polished edge.

Just a suggestion, but if you decide to have the centers coated, before you take them in, use 500, then 1000 and if you are really ****, then 2000 grit sandpaper. Take any blemishes out of the edge before you take them in. That way, when you get them back, it is just a matter of getting out the Mothers Mag and Alum polish, and they will look like chrome.

I just redid the original mags on the 78 last winter. They look way better than 'new', cause I sanded all the 'machining' marks off, and got rid of all the tar iron dings on them before I painted them. It's labor intensive, but look way GREAT when you're done.

There are some running round, that have the wheels red, or yellow, or I've even seen blue, to match the paint. Looks good on the right set up.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
lanceo70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the centers of my front wheel powdercoated this winter. I am looking forward to it. Will post som pics when its done.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw a new fatboy at the dealer the other day that had been sold. It was back in the shop and the owner was having everything powder-coated on it. I wish I had taken a pic, it looked awesome.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

To give you an idea on cost...I just picked up my Ultra 9 spoke wheels from my powdercoater a few days ago. Had them done solid gloss black. $50.00 per wheel, which included sandblasting. The bearings ain't cheap ($32.95 per bearing from my dealer, I went aftermarket) you'll need to deal with that whichever route you choose.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Beerninja
Tourer

How hard is repacking the bearings?

I really like the smoothie look from that link on the first page. But it will be a while before I can afford new wheels.

I wonder what a stock wheel would like with a solid powder coat.

Thanks again for all the replys

Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerninja

I really like the smoothie look from that link on the first page. But it will be a while before I can afford new wheels.

Mine are sealed bearings. Not sure about your '02 but I would think that they are sealed as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beerninja

A stock wheel should look just the same as that new wheel as long as the surface is clean and no blemishes.

Cost on those wheels in the link are $1096.00 per wheel, no mater which style or finish (Chrome, Powdercoat, or the "Epic' treatment) on the forged wheels. (16 x 3.5 for my Ultra)

Also, they will not just powdercoat the center disc on the smoothie ( I asked when I called the manufacturer this morning)

And the Epic treatment is a solid powdercoated wheel that is machined and polished so the shiney (raw) metal areas are polished aluminum and not chrome.

So my plan now is a Powdercoated Smoothie on the rear and either the Epic Imperial or the Epic Zar for the front. (more than likely the Zar is what will happen)

And last but not least, the lead time for this particular manufacurers wheels is only five bussiness days (they cut them as ordered)

Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Beerninja
Tourer

Nice, but yeah it will really be a while before I can afford those LOL

Looks like I will be talking to the powdercoat people around here about my stock wheels getting a new shine LOL

But thanks for the link and the info

Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,223 Likes on 2,536 Posts

pc gloss black center polished rim.220.00 If I remember.Final Touch Powder Coating in NC.

Last edited by back again; 09-18-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM
bigguns55
Stage I

Hi - was wondering how the wheels turned out that you had powered coated? I cannot find anyone who wants to do it. I wanted them done like the rear night train wheel , but no wants to mask off the wheels so you can get powder in the little holes in the inner ring.Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: Powder Coated Solid FATBOY Wheels?