General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travelling with no turn signals (state laws)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Travelling with no turn signals (state laws)

My province (state) does not require turn signals on motorcycles. If I remove my turn signals and travel through a state that requires turn signals, can I be ticketed while in that state?

What about states that require orange turn signals - can I be ticketed for having red turn signals?

Has anyone ever heard of these (turn signal) laws being enforced or is it something that will only cause me trouble if I am already in trouble for something else?

BigLow

Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

most states require turn signals to be functional if installed. yellow or red are legal everywhere in the US.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not required in Tn.

You can use hand signals here in Tn., this is a link to each state's laws, just click on the state you desire info on.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=TN

Old 01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm with ya Big, I wondered the same thing myself. But so far, the original question hasn't been answered - so they probably don't know...

Old 01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
My province (state) does not require turn signals on motorcycles. If I remove my turn signals and travel through a state that requires turn signals, can I be ticketed while in that state?

What about states that require orange turn signals - can I be ticketed for having red turn signals?

Has anyone ever heard of these (turn signal) laws being enforced or is it something that will only cause me trouble if I am already in trouble for something else?

BigLow
If you run the turn signals as running lights/brake lights then the lense MUST be red. So technically the turn signal would be red

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
budwfo
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
NO. You must use proper hand signals as stated in your riders handbook.
NO. Ignorance is bliss
You might get pulled over but will not recieve a ticket, being from another state you are basicly just passing thru...
BigLow
Hope this might help.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your bike was delivered from the manufacturer with signals on it I believe you cannot remove them legally. I don't pretend to know all 50 states' laws on this, but it's true for all of the New England states.

If your bike does not have turn signals on it for whatever reason and you ride into a jurisdiction where signals are a requirement, you can be cited for not having them. That's true anywhere -- you have to obey the laws of the state you're in. Same as if you ride from a helmet-free state into a helmet-required state.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really dont think if My bike is Lic in a state that,per say dosnt require turn signels and I take a trip to a state were they are they will ticket me...Helmets and head light now there is a whole differant thing....

Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arizona = No helmet required. No turn signals required.
California = Helmet required. Turn signals required.

If I ride from Arizona into California I must wear a helmet or I will be ticketed. Do I have to install my turn signals? Will the police bother me about my lack of turn signals if I am doing nothing else wrong?

BigLow

Last edited by BigLowRider; 01-04-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I got a Ticket in CA about 6 years ago Fur a Helmet not bein DOT.....
The Fremont cop checked over my whole bike and also gave me a Ticket fur Side Mount License Plate because I was Complainin
He said Do you want me to give you a Ticket Fur Those Pipes Too
I said No,, but He Never Noticed NO Signals......

Quick Reply: Travelling with no turn signals (state laws)