General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX-A-FLAT for tubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default FIX-A-FLAT for tubes

Anybody tried this in real roadside flat? Trying to decide whether it's worth carrying.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried it once, but my tube was split open so did no good.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

It won't work with a tube. Best bet is the alloy wheel & run tubeless.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
Best bet is the alloy wheel & run tubeless.
Yes, I agree -- but I do like the look of spoked wheels and don't intend to change them.

Regarding use in mc tires, the FAF website says "Fix-A-Flat® is not intended for these type of tires" -- but I've heard of some folks doing it anyway. It might be better than sitting by the road for hours waiting for HD or AAA or Progressive to show up with a truck (I've got all 3 coverages, thankfully never had to use any of them).

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM
dblkick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at Laconia during bike week a couple years ago & got a flat on my StreetBob. Being 40+ miles from the the dealership I used Fix a Flat, & yes it leaked out & I had to stop several times to refill or pump up the rear tire, but I did make it there to have a new tire installed. (& yes the service manager had a hissy fit about me using FAF on a spoked rim). You got to do what you got to do.......

Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dblkick
I was at Laconia during bike week a couple years ago & got a flat on my StreetBob. Being 40+ miles from the the dealership I used Fix a Flat, & yes it leaked out & I had to stop several times to refill or pump up the rear tire, but I did make it there to have a new tire installed. (& yes the service manager had a hissy fit about me using FAF on a spoked rim). You got to do what you got to do.......

You got lucky, most time FAF won't work. You are far better off making sure your insurance has roadside assistance and/or towing call get picked up and let the dealer fix it. I have laced wheels on my sporty and spokes with tubeless on my fxdl. Also have a set of spoke rims and tubeless ready to go on the sporty when I wear out the current tires When I change them out I will sell the laced wheels

Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Slime for Tubes will usually work if you have just a nail hole. However, if you ride on the flat and rip the tube you are outta luck.

I tried Slime. I drove a couple of nails in a tire that I was getting ready to change. Pulled them out. Put in Slime. Pumped it up and rode. The bike sat a few days before the tire change. It held air.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,447 Likes on 4,361 Posts

Fix a Flat may work on some holes, but your tire tech will never speak to you or buy you beers again!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PPBART
Anybody tried this in real roadside flat? Trying to decide whether it's worth carrying.
Try this:
ThreeBond Seal 'N' Air #3574

Detailed Images

Not necessarily the best way to repair a tire, but one that will get you to the next town or to a shady/protected area to do it right. Works by filling the tire with a foaming latex-like fluid that seals the hole, and will fill a tire to moderate pressure in around 20 seconds. (Bear in mind, however, that when you remove the tire for permanent repairs, it’s gonna be full of this stuff. We warned you.) Tire pressure will increase gradually as you ride. Will not work on large holes or sidewall punctures. Attached fill hose.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

My Ultra Classic has Profile laced wheels. I carry a can of Seal N Air and I also have AAA. Fortunately, I haven't been required to use either one.

Quick Reply: FIX-A-FLAT for tubes