General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIX-A-FLAT for tubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Experienced my first flat on a motorcycle yesterday (the front on my WG) tube/spokes. My riding bud went and fetched us a can of flat fix (no clue to brand). Not enough pressure to pop the tire fully onto the rim (seat it).. Rode anyway slowly for 14 miles top a friends house before it all leaked out. New tire & tube today.. Oh well, it was going in for some new pipes, dyno and shiney trinkets today anyway.. Was not planning on bringing it on the trailer tho...

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
sporty06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried tubeless tires with American Wire Wheels? They state on their website that you can run tubeless tires with their wire spoke wheels.

http://www.americanwire.com/

sporty06

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty06
Has anybody tried tubeless tires with American Wire Wheels? They state on their website that you can run tubeless tires with their wire spoke wheels.

sporty06
I know one that that tried them.....His leaked. He ended up putting in tubes.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

Originally Posted by sporty06

sporty06
Not all models, just the smaller ones.
American Wire Wheels in sizes 16" and 18" are sealed tubeless.
All 19" and 21" Wheels require the use of a tube.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it clearly isn't recommended for bikes, even says so on the can. however, in a pinch, especially with a tubed tire, it may get you out of trouble and allow you to get somewhere to get the tube fixed. have used it on my WG with a spoked wheel, when i had a flat out in the middle of no-where. It saved me a lot of trouble and allowed me to get to a repair facility.

Last edited by gman; 01-06-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
REVHAPPY
Tourer

Fix a flat has worked for me and i will not ride w/o a can in my saddle bag. I have a 02 roadkill classic w/spoke wheels.

Note:the times i used it, it never filled tire completely, only about 20 some psi, had to stop and top up. But it better then sitting on the side of the road. (thats another story, some other time) good luck and buy a can.
Ride safe
revhappy

Last edited by REVHAPPY; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

how hard is it to actually replace the tube. i am thinking that you could do the front pretty easily. and the tools you would need aren't that much.

when i had a tube wheel i always had xtra tubes

Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does ANYBODY know how to pull a tube, patch it and reinstall it besides me?
Geesh, I carry 2 8" tar spoons, a small patch kit, and the God Send, CO2 cartridge unit.
Man, I hope I come acrossed some of you on the road to Sturgis. From what I am reading, I could pay for my trip out and back, with just a couple of flats. BUT I have done it, and NO, never charged. Been paid good by one or two, but guess most were scooter tramps, so, glad to send 'em off down the road.
Tubeless tars actually suk more, in that instance. Can't get the bead broke to patch the inside of the tar.

And as previously posted, you put that chit in your tar, and bring it in to have it changed, gonna pizz somebody off. And unfortunately for you, IT IS gonna be the guy changin' YOUR tar. That stuff is jus' flat azzed nasty when you are changing the tar. Extra $20, jus' for shop supplies.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

hey da gump

how hard is it to get the rear wheel off?

i am thinking the front is pretty easy.

as i think i mentioned i removed the rear on an old honda 750 bak in the day. but haven't done it on an HD yet

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

[QUOTE=Da Gumpmeister;4339599]Does ANYBODY know how to pull a tube, patch it and reinstall it besides me?
Geesh, I carry 2 8" tar spoons, a small patch kit, and the God Send, CO2 cartridge unit.]

Exactly what I was thinking, even a small manual pump (Like the one I carry for shocks) works. I carry plugs and rubber cement for my tubeless tires.
But also carry a couple spoons, a scratcher (technical term) and patches for tubes.
I've fixed them without even removing the wheel from the bike.

I wouldn't use Fix a Flat even on tubeless tires. Just too much of a mess.

Quick Reply: FIX-A-FLAT for tubes