General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle mechanic demand

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
williebeaman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorcycle mechanic demand

whats the demand like for motorcycle mechanics these days? i get out of the navy in a year and was thinking of applying to mmi, is it a hard school to get into? whats the demand for mechanics out there? If i did i would eventually want to have my own business so i was just wondering what kind of demand there is?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM
jsinger
Advanced

I don't want to pi$$ in Your wheaties or anything but a friend of mine who was a shop foreman at a large H-D dealership got laid off this past November , He worked at the same place for 7 Years . Out of the 8 Mechanics working there I think there's 2 left . I Myself am an MMI grad and worked as an H-D Mechanic for 4 years before returning to the auto repair business . The 2 H-D dealers I worked for didn't pay for chit and I'm making almost 3x the money fixing cars . This economy won't stay like this forever and if this is Your dream then persue it . MMI is an awesome school and I don't regret 1 minute of time I spent there and the tuition was worth every penny . Also , Thank You for Your service to Our great Country

Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 PM
williebeaman
6th Gear

thanks for your input im not really wanting to work for an HD dealer mostly want to eventually own my own shop but this economy is a little scary these days but i know for sure im not staying in the military its between motorcycle mechanic and deisel mechanic right now i think i dont need to make loads of money just enough to live and be semi comfortable you know? i think ill still go for it you only live once right lol

Old 01-03-2009, 08:04 PM
sportncruise
Road Captain

I don't pretend to know anything other than the 2 minute conversation I had with my friend who just retired Senior Chief.
He is working for a private company as an auditor but they told him if he wants to move up he needs to get his certificate to work on aircraft. He is going to school at night for it. He worked on them his entire career in the Navy but without this certificate he can't touch them in the civialian world.
The firm he works for buys and repairs planes, helicopters and such and repairs them and then they are used in places like Iraq for contractors.
If you like the mechanical field you may want to look into working for a private firm like this that would really value your time in the navy!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

No.1 Thank you for your service.

No.2 Follow your dreams. If ya want something bad enough, nothing can stop you!!!