General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do harley riders wear skulls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 --I don't like skulls but others do.
Originally Posted by DavesGirl
Why does anyone wear skulls and flames? I see people who don't own Harley's-much less any motorcycle-wearing them too. They do it because they like them!

I don't wear skulls, and wouldn't put any skull emblems on anything I own, because I dont' like them. It's as simple as that sometimes.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankjake
Some of you should give the original poster a break. He was probably asking if there is any certain reason other than the fact that "you want to" or that "you can"

Seems the only person that has a reasonable answer is Da Grumpmeister. Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

I had seen something on TV a while back about this very questions and Da Grumpmesiter hits the nail on the head.

Sometimes maybe people ask questions that seem stupid but sometimes people give even more stupid answers.

It's a bike forum...if someone asks a question about why people wear whatever, they're gonna get a few serious answers and they're also gonna get their ***** busted a little...comes with the territory...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure it means something different to everyone. But in tattoo culture it represents a symbol of change. And is a reminder that we all must die and to live life while you can. That's the positive side....But I'm sure most people just see it as meaning "death". And wearing it will make you look fearless.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I don't have any Skulls or Bones, or fire stuff. I'm thinking about getting some now cause I haven't had any luck finding bike stuff with Platypuses on it ( I really like Platypuses) but there is all kinds of stuff with Skulls, and Bones, and Fire. I don't have anything on any of my stuff that lets people know I'm a bad ****...I think if I get some some scary stuff to put on my bike, and my Jacket, and my Fingerless gloves that people will be scared when they see me and then I don't have to worry about being messed with.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Splatter
Road Master

I have a skull on my sissy bar. Is that a mixed message? To me it's just a tip of the hat to the grim reaper. I show him a little respect and hope he'll do the same for me.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Ever seen a Grateful Dead fan on a Gold Wing ?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyndve
I read that from the old pirate days it was a symbol to ward off evil spirits. Kind of a 'don't tread on me sign'. But I don't know if that's true or not. I have chrome skull foot pegs. I like 'em!

Speaking of Pirates here's the good ole Jolly Roger!! ARRGG!!!

Attached Thumbnails Why do harley riders wear skulls?-jolly-roger.jpg  

Last edited by JaronB; 01-04-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 AM
kbear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Death Head Skulls from the Topenkopf german symbol. Also from Light infantry Gen Wolfe in Britian and more respective WW2 the symbols off Planes taken up by the bikers from the era and the symbols, of which there were many others, from those planes adopted to the rides... There is a further religious part but not applicable and the symbol from pirates is a different symbol and meaning. Lots on the internet about it. They have grown to different meaning and skull designs since the initial adopting by the first bikers...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,216 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Never got into the skulls , so I guess I'm not a bad ***. I do like flames, so does that make me a pyromaniac?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of warding off evil, skulls are a sign of death and destruction. Since I have no death wish -- and I guess I'm superstitious -- skulls and other death symbols are the last thing I want on my bike or my body. I have no problem with people who like them. Just about every custom has either flames or some skull theme. Skulls are so common now that they've become a cliche and hardly mean 'bad ***' anymore. I see little kids wearing skull T-shirts.

Quick Reply: Why do harley riders wear skulls?