General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do harley riders wear skulls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Okay then, jus' git yourself a beer, pop or a coffee.
Why do 'bikers' where skulls. This, according to "Gumby".
(Back me up here, Schu )
Anywho, the skull is actually a very, very old religious symbol. It is on gravestones from back before I was born.
Anywho, it was the Germans, who associated the skull with 'the military' as in medals and symbols. And the skull took on a 'dark' meaning vs the religious.
When a lot of the veterans came home, and they had the proverbial 'fall out' in Hollister, those vets that broke off to join the 1%ers (as per the 'reporter') used those German medals as symbols of rebellion towards the establishment. Also signified you prob'ly didn't want to 'ruffle' the young man's feathers, if ya think about how he GOT those medals in the first place.
Is that true? ELEPHINO, but it sorta sounds good.

And "Hell's Angels" was actually a name used by numerous flight squadrons since WW1, most notably, a WW2 bomber squadron. Long before the HAMC.

Oh, and almost forgot, they MUST be jus' POZER fodder, by now.

Gots no skulls on my scoots, 'cepting the nummm one holdin' the bars.
The "Hells Angels" was the nickname of the 303rd Heavy Bomb Group. They flew B-17 Flying Fortresses over Europe and later Germany beginning on November 17th, 1943 and their 364th and Last mission flown on April 25th, 1945. Each Group consisted of 4 Squadrons. Each with 6 aircraft. Not only was the Groups nickname the Hells Angels, there were several aircraft in the Group with Hells Angels related names. "Hells Angels Out of Chute 13" is one that comes to mind. The url us a good place to go for further info on the 303rd BG. May have to cut a paste.

http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/wwii.html

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you should give the original poster a break. He was probably asking if there is any certain reason other than the fact that "you want to" or that "you can"

Seems the only person that has a reasonable answer is Da Grumpmeister. Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

I had seen something on TV a while back about this very questions and Da Grumpmesiter hits the nail on the head.

Sometimes maybe people ask questions that seem stupid but sometimes people give even more stupid answers.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:47 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rollingrocker
i have been riding my street bob for almost a year now and when i see harley riders wearing tough looking leather vest/jacket with skulls, bones, flames and what have you on it, i wonder what does it mean? are they trying to look like hells angels? whats behind this tradition? just wondering...let's hear it from the hd community...
I like skulls some days. Other days I like Tribal. Some days I like old english lettering on my shirts. Just bought a pair of boots with skulls on them because I like them.

I wear what I like.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:59 PM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankjake
Some of you should give the original poster a break. He was probably asking if there is any certain reason other than the fact that "you want to" or that "you can"

Seems the only person that has a reasonable answer is Da Grumpmeister. Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

I had seen something on TV a while back about this very questions and Da Grumpmesiter hits the nail on the head.

Sometimes maybe people ask questions that seem stupid but sometimes people give even more stupid answers.
Ok Mr Moderator heres the reasonable reason:

the reason is so other people wont think theyre gay when they wear those do-rags and other pirate fantasy garb...

Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 PM
tmf2
Cruiser

Makes people that don't ride think you are a badass biker. Evil and Sinister.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
tmf2
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jkk
ok mr moderator heres the reasonable reason:

The reason is so other people wont think theyre gay when they wear those do-rags and other pirate fantasy garb...

lol ++

Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people like 'em, some don't...........

Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKK
Ok Mr Moderator heres the reasonable reason:

the reason is so other people wont think theyre gay when they wear those do-rags and other pirate fantasy garb...
Greetings,

This is the best answer to this question yet! LOL

Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They remind us of Willie G? Just a thought Although the only one I wear is in my brain bucket

Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I got my scoot I thought all the "Live to Ride" eagle stuff was too common. I had never seen the skulls except on the net and I really liked them so I started putting a few of those on. Now that I've been around the forums and such awhile I realize that they are quite common too. Oh well....good thing I still like them. I really had no other reason for putting them on my bike.

Quick Reply: Why do harley riders wear skulls?