General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need wheel resources

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wheel resources (Updated 2/7/09)

The chrome on my OEM Profile Lace Wheels is pitting, cracking, and chipping.

So I am now in search of new wheels for my 06 Ultra.

Before all the advise about wheel maintenence, yes I did all that, and more, yet the chrome still has become nasty.

Therefore MOCO junk is not an option.

Last edited by SteelCityScooter; 02-07-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Wheels are done
Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I justy got a flyer from an online company that I found when I bought from them on ebay, they have a great sale on a set of 16 and 21 spoked wheels for under 200. I know thats not what you need for your bike but they might have a deal on what you need. The company is called KC international. the phone niumber is 800-561-5222. I cant remember what I bought from them but I did like them enough to sign up for their news letter. I also see they have a steal of a deal on 80 spoke for 99 and under baggers.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, you, like the rest of us, is suffering from the scourge of Import "cheap".

The VAST majority of chrome wheels out there, are chromed the 'cheap' way. Do not expect them to last like the older chrome or triple chrome wheels we all were used to. Ppl did not want to pay the big dollar for decent chrome, so most are now outta biz. Or they, too, have cut back on their methods to be competetive. That's why ya can buy a wheel for less than 2 bills, all over.
Here's what I tell ppl. IF this is a life long scoot, then shell it out for an Akront rim, chrome the hub, if not already, and either top shelf chrome or polished stainless spokes. If this is a rider, transpo, or just passing thru, then buy the less than 200 wheel, and just know, it has a limited life. IMFUO
Really sux when someone likes to restore old iron. Get's $$$$$$$$ real fast.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong.
It's not cheap chrome, it's cheap cast wheels someone tries to chrome.
If you want strong, top quality wheels, you need to buy forged billet aluminum..
No Harley stock wheel is forged, therefore it's loaded with imperfections that can easily start any chrome to peel. Forging squeezes out these imperfections and allows chrome to adhere better.
Harley wheels like the Blade are made for them by Renegade, and are forged. Most of the rest like the Reaper, Thunderstar, and the rest of those $800.00-$900.00 wheels are total junk.
Remember, buy forged. You'll notice the difference when the bill comes due.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
CamFX
Tourer

I have profile wheels on my 06 Fatboy and they look perfect. I have stock 40 spoke HD wheels from an 02 softail on my chopper, I ride year round and those still look good. I hope mine do not start peeling. who knows?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Since posting this thread earlier, I have been running round the web looking at many, and I do mean many, different wheel and rim manufacturers.

I am kinda now leaning towards a set of forged wheels from RC Components.

They have an extensive line of wheels for my Ultra, and their local dealer is 4 miles away (Local Harley shop), so getting them should be a fairly simple process. ( I would rather deal with a person than online)

Right now I have Wide White Wall tires with real good tread, so they would be going on the rim.

I am thinking the Imperial Wheel for the front and possibly a Smoothie for the rear. Remember this is a touring bike and that the rear wheel is a real pain to clean (thus the smoothie)

I am also kinda leaning towards the Imperial Eclipse both front and rear

Check out the link and give your opinion.

http://www.rccomponents.com/harleypr...arfwheels.aspx

Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
CamFX
Tourer

I am either cheap or a old school purist. I only like spokes. And they are dirt cheap compared to anything else out there. It must be because I am cheap...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by CamFX
I am either cheap or a old school purist. I only like spokes. And they are dirt cheap compared to anything else out there. It must be because I am cheap...
I am of the same mindset, it's just that I got really burned with the Profile Lace Wheels I have on the Ultra now.

I actually paid extra for them when I bought this Bike, and the way they lasted just keeps me from wanting to go down that route again on this bike.

I did take a long long look at some American Wire Wheels.

And honestly, I could buy some new rims, and reuse my hubs and spokes to re-lace them.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Picked her up today with the New Wheels and Powdercoated Fork Sliders

Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
Wrong.
It's not cheap chrome, it's cheap cast wheels someone tries to chrome.
If you want strong, top quality wheels, you need to buy forged billet aluminum..
No Harley stock wheel is forged, therefore it's loaded with imperfections that can easily start any chrome to peel. Forging squeezes out these imperfections and allows chrome to adhere better.
Wrong on both counts.
  1. The factory optional rear wheel on my 2008 Night Train (below) is descrbed as "SOLID DISK, FORGED ALUMINUM".
  2. Forging makes the end product stronger and lighter. It has nothing to do with its ability to accept plating.