General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety while riding with others ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009 | 11:09 PM
guitarbug
|
Cruiser
Default Safety while riding with others ?

I have been out of the loop for a while and just started riding again. Even back 20 years ago I did not do much riding with other bikers. I was wondering if there was some safety tips you could pass along. I plan on small highway trip with a friend tomorrow in The N. Texas area, heading out to Decatur and going to get some pictures of our bikes by some old gas pumps. Any help would be great!

Old 01-02-2009 | 11:47 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

If you are riding with a more seasoned rider, be sure to ride within your comfort zone, trying to keep up with a faster rider is when mistakes are made.

Old 01-03-2009 | 12:04 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I usually make the newbie ride in front so he don't run me over! It also helps him negotiate traffic better not trying to watch me. I would tell you to go ahead, I'll keep up!

Old 01-03-2009 | 12:48 AM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
I usually make the newbie ride in front so he don't run me over! It also helps him negotiate traffic better not trying to watch me. I would tell you to go ahead, I'll keep up!
good advice!

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:02 AM
Candy Red
Tourer

I like to be in the very front, or the very back depending on whom Im riding with

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:21 AM
Grind
Road Master

Ride staggered, not side by side. Side by side gives neither of you room for emergency manuevers safely.

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:34 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Ride your ride--let the experienced rider follow. There are people I will ride with and there are people I won't ride in the same town with. My opinion and practice is that I will stagger with some people and I have a couple of buddies that I will ride beside. The difference is the skill level. I only have a couple of buddies that I have rode with forever--I know what they will do in an emergency and we will ride side by side. Its a matter of trust. I do not recommend that for new riders or riders who don't ride together normally. Just my opinion and practice---others will not agree.

Old 01-03-2009 | 05:26 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Ditto, Riding staggered is much safer then side by side.

Old 01-03-2009 | 05:43 AM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

I would let you ride front and let you set your pace, just don't try to do as others till you are comfortable doing it! Group riding is different I would ride some miles (practice) before I would jump in a ride with a group.

Old 01-03-2009 | 05:49 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

Even with friends I have ridden with for years...We won't ride side by side. That leaves no space to manuver if there is an obsticle of any kind in the lane.

Riding Staggard give everyone the full lane to move in without endangering each other. Plus, it gives you a larger footprint area to be seen in by idiots in Cages..Makes the group look larger, and most cagers give you more space.

Like otehrs have said..Ride YOUR Ride, not your buddies. Never try to keep up when you are not comfortable. Better and Safer to just slow down and go at your comfort zone.

Quick Reply: Safety while riding with others ?