General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety while riding with others ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009 | 10:16 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Riding in a group is always a challenge when you don't know the skills of those around you...The best rides are with those whom you trust and/or have ridden with for some time.

Old 01-03-2009 | 10:24 AM
memphis
Elite HDF Member

Since u haven't been riding a while i would ride
in front at ur own pace
good luck and have fun

Old 01-03-2009 | 10:27 AM
Rebsix
Cruiser

Originally Posted by guitarbug
I feel myself getting the jitters for the first few minutes and then after a few slow turns I am pretty comfy and starting to own my bike again. I don't know if it's just me but when will that jitter go away ? I don't remember this from 20 years ago.
Your thinking about it too much, remember, your in charge...not the bike. Don't let it tell you what to do, you make it do what you want IT to do. I've helped a few new riders in the past and at first all I'd ever hear is "IT keeps turning"...."IT always want's to lean"...."IT won't do this"..."IT won't do that".... Some, my Wife, never got past that and will never get beyond the rear seat.

When riding with others, establish a couple rules and just ride. It's a fine line but if you worry about the other guys(s) too much you'll lose touch with what your actually doing. Let them ride their bike and you ride yours. Remember, your front wheel isn't chained to anyone, if you don't like the situation with the group, any road your on will eventually lead you back home.

Good luck, have fun, and don't over think it, enjoy it.

Post the pics when you get back

Old 01-03-2009 | 12:29 PM
RussL
Cruiser

That's good advice above. Don't worry. If it's just two of you, no problems. Decide for yourself if you wanna lead or not. You can set your own pace if you do, but you might also feel self-conscious, knowing you bud is watching your every move. I'd prefer to follow, myself, with the understanding between us as to how fast I wanna go. He won't leave you.

Big group riding is a different animal. I was in a lage group not long ago, about 500 of us. The worst thing was what I call the rubber band effect, where the group stretches, going fast, and then you're suddenly braking hard when your little area compresses. Not to mention guys following too closely.

And go staggered if there's more than two of you. If it's just two, hell, it don't really matter that much. The thing about staggerd is that on a two-lane, if you're on the inside, you're catching more of the rough stuff on the road, usually.

Oh, and don't forget to stay off the grease slick in the middle of the lane, especially if it just started to sprinkle. You might also wanna decide on some hand signals between you and whoever you're with.

Now just go and enjoy. If you feel uncomfortable, you can always drop out. They'll know if you did. Then, you can chew their butts.

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:29 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Any riding club has "safe riding guideline" HOG, GWRRA, SCRC, etc etc etc... read them, and pass them along . Just because you're riding in a pack... does NOT mean you'll be safer.... witness just about every charity ride.....there's a LOT of scary riders out there

Ride at YOUR level, don't get suckered into riding over your skill level... if YOU aren't comfortable with the group.... pull over wave the pack on, and go about yout own business

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:30 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Just did my first group ride the other day with about 50 bikes from our local hog chapter. We had a riders meeting at the begining and went over the road rules, hand signals. and the distance fomr the guy in front of you (2 seconds) and the guy to your left or right front(1 Second) as the ride progressed I became pretty relaxed with these rules and had a great ride as well as learned a ton about group riding.

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:38 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Default new to riding with others the info about riding your ride is the right one

Old 01-03-2009 | 02:45 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Ride your ride--let the experienced rider follow. There are people I will ride with and there are people I won't ride in the same town with. My opinion and practice is that I will stagger with some people and I have a couple of buddies that I will ride beside. The difference is the skill level. I only have a couple of buddies that I have rode with forever--I know what they will do in an emergency and we will ride side by side. Its a matter of trust. I do not recommend that for new riders or riders who don't ride together normally. Just my opinion and practice---others will not agree.
Don't believe it comes much plainer, IMFUO.

The only thing I'd add, COMMUNICATE before you pull out. KNOW what the other guys idea of 'crash avoidance' (riding)is. Likewise, I want 'him' to know mine. Momma and I even do quite a bit, side by side. Nice open stretches, or idling through town. IF I am in doubt at all, you'll find me 'tailgunning' it. I want the 'chaos' in front of me, NOT rolling up my backside. But that's me.

Over the years, I've done a lot of 'pack' riding with MCs. Basically fender to fender, side by side. Young and dummmm, it's fun, BUT you'll find me and the Cap'n, bringin' up the rear, now days. I find no comfort at 75 or 80+, under those circumstances no mo'.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 01-03-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2009 | 03:24 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
Even with friends I have ridden with for years...We won't ride side by side. That leaves no space to manuver if there is an obstacle of any kind in the lane.

Riding Staggered give everyone the full lane to move in without endangering each other. Plus, it gives you a larger footprint area to be seen in by idiots in Cages..Makes the group look larger, and most cagers give you more space.

Like others have said..Ride YOUR Ride, not your buddies. Never try to keep up when you are not comfortable. Better and Safer to just slow down and go at your comfort zone.
To me, staggered sucks and creates the biggest slinky effect possible. Sure, the guy in front of you may have the whole lane to screw up in, by the same token when that rider takes a dump right in front of you, you may or may not have any place to go anyway. Riding in parade formation offers the same footprint as staggered and it doesn't **** off the whole neighborhood because your group is taking up the whole stinking highway. I do however agree it is not safe in most cases where the riders of a group don't know each other and well.

As far as the OP riding with a friend. If you are behind the other rider and you can not see that rider's face in his own mirror then you are out of position because that rider can't see you either. The same holds true if your friend, the more experienced rider, is not in your mirror either. Typically, the experienced rider will let you lead to become accustomed to your skill level and pace. However, it is good for the experienced rider to let you follow as well during the ride at a safe point. This will allow you to possibly pick up some things you may otherwise not know. The most important thing is your riding your own ride and if you do not feel comfortable say something. Know one on a ride is a mind reader although you can tell when an individual rider is having a problem if you have ever spent any time on the sweep end of a group ride.

Old 01-03-2009 | 06:14 PM
guitarbug
|
Cruiser

Wow still amazed at all the great help I am getting here, thanks a ton! Well we went for our ride today, but did a different ride than planned. We went to a few local bike shops around the city. It was a freaking blast! I let him lead and felt real comfortable with his speed and how we rode together. We rode staggered most of the time except a few double lane roads and I would see him in his mirror rev it up a bit so he saw me coming up to his left. It was so fun but as usual in the last mile away from home I had my little wobble when turning right into a right hand lane on a easy little side road! I think someone put something in my head when he told me about watching your turn from the right into the right lane when its a double lane into a double lane. Man I did so great the whole day for hours and then I don't know what came over me, I pulled out after he took off and turned right and I think i let off the trottle a bit and all of a sudden the bike started to wobble a slight bit. I gassed it a bit and straightend out. All was well and when we parted ways I was so frustrated with myself about it. About a hour later I went out for a solo and for some strange reason I had this fear of turning right so I pulled into a vaccant lot and just went in right circles until I felt I owned my bike again. Took off towards home and everything was fine again! Crazy huh!! Anyone else experience this right turn wobble before ? Thanks again for all your help.

Quick Reply: Safety while riding with others ?