General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety while riding with others ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009 | 05:49 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Arrow

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
If you are riding with a more seasoned rider, be sure to ride within your comfort zone, trying to keep up with a faster rider is when mistakes are made.
+1 on the above. even better ask him if it is ok for you to ride in front, then you can determin your comfort zone, and he can crit your riding for you at your stops, Have a good ride and welcome,

Old 01-03-2009 | 05:57 AM
sctusa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nigelgeast
+1 on the above. even better ask him if it is ok for you to ride in front, then you can determin your comfort zone, and he can crit your riding for you at your stops, Have a good ride and welcome,
Excellent advice...Always ride within your comfort zone. Those twisties will eat you up if you ride beyond your experience.
I am a PGR member and some of the riders in our mission rides scare the bejezzus out of me!!!

Old 01-03-2009 | 06:38 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grind
Ride staggered, not side by side. Side by side gives neither of you room for emergency manuevers safely.
+1.....I agree with a staggered and just take your time with a few stops. Ride safe and enjoy the ride in the wind....

Old 01-03-2009 | 07:24 AM
Whatyardwork
Advanced

If your trip involves highway riding as your post indicates, heres a couple rules I follow.First stay as far away from the slow lane as possible.Seems people have forgotten what yield means when entering the freeway, they also like to cut you off at the last second because thier texting was interupted by their exit.Second, stay above the posted speed limit.Im not saying speed like a maddman but if you are gently passing traffic you are safer than you are if the cages are the ones doing the passing.Its much easier to navigate whats in front of you than whats coming up from behind.Lastly, never ever get caught beside a big rig for more than a moment.Either pass him or let him pass you.He will forget you are there and put you in the gaurdrail.

Old 01-03-2009 | 07:31 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
If you are riding with a more seasoned rider, be sure to ride within your comfort zone, trying to keep up with a faster rider is when mistakes are made.
That is good advise. The others will understand.

Old 01-03-2009 | 07:52 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

Many have given great advice. Lead/follow is a judgement call between the 2 riders and what they decide. Let your individual experience and experience riding with others dictate what you feel comfortable with. In time you will become very comfortable with riding with others, more so if its with the same group of people most of the time.

Despite years of experience, when ever I attend some rally or toy run I am cautious as ever. I may have mucho experience but I never know what experience those around me have.

At one time I rode with the same group of guys for many years and we could fly down the highway, side by side instinctively knowing when and who to fade in right or left corners. Miss those days.

Old 01-03-2009 | 08:35 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

staggered for sure...side by side leaves no room for error...like say a varmit.

Old 01-03-2009 | 09:21 AM
guitarbug
|
Cruiser

Thanks! All great advise. I am amazed at how wrong the ole statement goes " It's like riding a bike, once you ride you never forget" This could never be so wrong! As I mentioned in other post I had quite a bit of riding experience 20 years ago and I rode with people all the time, but the last ride I ever had was with another rider next to me on the highway and it did play into my getting run off the road. Here I am 20 years later and it's not as easy as just getting back on a bike! I feel myself getting the jitters for the first few minutes and then after a few slow turns I am pretty comfy and starting to own my bike again. I don't know if it's just me but when will that jitter go away ? I don't remember this from 20 years ago. It always seems like after my first few minutes I handle my bike much much better. I have been taking it slow and riding at the slowest times of the day with the least traffic. I have signed up for the riders safety class so I am hoping to learn a few new safety tips. I cannot begin to thank you all for being here, the lessons and knowledge gained here is priceless!

Old 01-03-2009 | 09:35 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

1. Ride Your Ride
2. Staggered
3. Take Lead
4. Ride Your Ride

Some excellent information here for everyone. Some times seasoned riders need to be reminded of this same information about those less seasoned. And you don't get offended if they critic on something, they are just trying to help. Enjoy the ride.

Old 01-03-2009 | 10:10 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RDKingRider
...Some times seasoned riders need to be reminded of this same information about those less seasoned...
Too often, I've seen experienced riders invite less-experienced riders to come along on a ride, then proceed to zoom off and leave the newbie to either push it or get left behind. IMO, that's just bad manners! If I invite someone to ride with me, I have to take into consideration his/her capabilities and adjust my actions accordingly.

One thing that helps (and that I always insist on) is some discussion and agreement as to "rules of the ride" before heading out. If someone decides to ignore those rules, I don't have any obligation to follow their lead!

Quick Reply: Safety while riding with others ?