General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys live in apartment complex and have to leave there bikes out front? If so, what do you use for protection against the elements? I'm asking because I may be moving to an apartment type community in the very near future, and have been a bit hesitant with not having my bike in a garage anymore. I know there are a few makers with those "portable type" garages, like cycle shell and whatnot.. is that what you guys use? Or does just a regular bike cover do the trick? I just need something cheap and simple that will be effective.

Anyway, thanks for the input fella's.. hopefully this economy will turn around real soon.. things are getting pretty rough 'round here. But the bike will never leave me, as its my only transportation, and well simply because, I don't know what I'd do without it.. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Adrian

Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Personally, that is a big reason I never lived in an apartment.

I had a buddy who would always find spit on his seat, until he hid close by the bike one night...

Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a buddy who would always find spit on his seat, until he hid close by the bike one night...
LMAO!! Oh man, I could only imagine how that turned out.

Well, thanks for helping me out, I......guess..... ??? lol

Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,542 Likes on 5,081 Posts

why move into an apartment complex?...your bike is gonna get some unauthorized attention

Old 01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Bike Cover

Adrain- If you do move you will need a waterproof cover for the bike and you will have to remove it often as the bike will still sweat under the cover. There is a Sportster with a cover I pass every couple of weeks. The guy parks it next to his pickup out in the middle of the parking lot. Nobody seems to mess with it and the complex is not the best in town. If it was me I would find something to chain (cable) the bike to. There is a cable advertised to be tough enough that it would take some on an hour or two to cut through with a saw.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man have you guys missed this one. I bring it in the apartment. The same holds true for the motel. Dang bike goes right through the doorway no problem. Now, if you live upstairs, that's a problem and I would investing in a nice cover with some locking loops and a cable lock.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try for a ground floor and park it on your porch / lanai. Does the apartment have car ports?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are looking for a cover, I initially didn't cover mine and just let the rain rain down. But then it became an issue with keeping it clean so then I just got a simple outside cover and although it is not water proof it is weather resistant. Not much water gets through and it when it dries up outside the cover will breath enough to dry anything that gets in. Security... that is another issue all together. Right now I am in an apartment complex that has garages and they require me to have one since I have a bike. I don't mind and actually it gives me peace of mind knowing it is safe and dry.
Good Luck

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Man have you guys missed this one. I bring it in the apartment. The same holds true for the motel. Dang bike goes right through the doorway no problem. Now, if you live upstairs, that's a problem and I would investing in a nice cover with some locking loops and a cable lock.
I have to say, I was in a service business where I went to customers homes. Some were apartments and I've seen MANY bikes parked in the living room.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks having to move into an apartment. I was debating on getting one of these below for my bike in my garage just to keep the elements off and so the kid doesn't drive her power wheel into the bike or something. It's made with stainless steel and is wind resistant, waterproof and stands up to winds. It's more than others out there, but the other ones seem cheap and not sturdy. Plus I think it's worth it to protect the investment that we call Harley's. I would probably get an alarm that make noise so you can regulate when it goes off.

http://www.thebikebarn.net/

Last edited by JaronB; 01-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?