General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Don't know the complex your considering but more and more of them I've seen theses days have garages available. Is there any place around your area that offers that option? I think I'd try to find some kind of lockable storage before I'd park my bike in the open at an apartment complex.
+1. I worked out of town for a year and a half and had to find an apartment. I only looked at complexes that offered covered parking and ended up finding one that offered garages similar to those self-storage units. It cost me an extra $50 a month but it was worth it to have a lockable place to keep my bike. But you seem pretty locked-in on the place you're looking at, so good luck making it work.

Last edited by Sharknose; 01-03-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:39 AM
SIXR
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a regular cover aint gonna do it. Especially if you dont even have a carport. You need some kind of enclosure or the chrome is gonna start to pit. As for security, sink an anchor into the concrete and get a big chain. Too bad, Harley's arent meant to be stored like that.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember - Do not get a Harley cover. Get a generic one - no sense advertising what's under the cover.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Remember - Do not get a Harley cover. Get a generic one - no sense advertising what's under the cover.
Good call.

In your first post,you said the bike was your only means of transportation.Now your saying that when you park the bike at a motel or any such place,you pull your car in tight behind and only take up one spot.
How'd you get the car and bike to the motel and such at the same time?
My girl drives the car, I ride the bike. Only means of transportation. Sticking the bike in a storage is not an option, unfortunately.

Maybe you can find a cheap used trailer and use it as a garage.

5 x 8 Carry On Enclosed Trailer - $1500 (South Miami)
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/rvs/968965454.html
Is that yours? That would be a great idea! Just can't afford that at this time, but a really good idea!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
tonnetje
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

set the bike in the livingroom who cares ?

Attached Thumbnails Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?-winterstalling-2002-in-de-huiskamer.jpg   Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?-dsc00329.jpg  

Last edited by tonnetje; 01-03-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master

I say go for the trailer, that's a great idea.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
I have to say, I was in a service business where I went to customers homes. Some were apartments and I've seen MANY bikes parked in the living room.
Oh yeah. There was a picture going around the net a while back where the guy had taken his 600 Gixer into the motel room and laid it over on the second bed. That's getting serious but funny just the same.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Using a trailer for bike storage is a good idea as long as you remember that the trailer is not secured to a vehicle when loading or unloading the bike.

Install jackstands or blocking under the rear of the trailer to keep from end tipping while loading or unloading.

Also you will need to disable easy movement of the trailer.
Would really suck to know you made it real easy for someone to steal the bike AND trailer by just hooking up and driving away. (remove a tire, chain through a rim to the frame, remove ball hitch from trailer etc)

Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

buddy of mine doesnt live in a apartment complex but he lives in a apt in a house. he keeps his bike right outside his bedroom window so when he rolls over he sees it

Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Lived in an apartment complex for a couple of years and kept the bike in a storage unit a few blocks away. Extra expense and a pain in the ***, but I'd never leave it outside in the apartment parking for an extended period of time. Just asking to have it stolen.

Quick Reply: Anyone own there Harley, and live in an apartment complex?