General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting "spin" on MB Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If any/every city can create its own ordinances detailing what equipment is required to operate a motor vehicle then how would an operator reasonably be expected to keep up on all the variations? Isn't that one of the reasons that such laws are (usually) determined at the state level?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GymRat523
I think you are correct, the local merchants hate Black Bike Week, more than one have told me MB even passed a law that they can't close for that week, they love all us old HD guys with money. Still not going again, it will be Laconia.
I'm with you on Laconia. You are surely welcomed there. If all did one year at Laconia instead of MB,or anywhere else, MB would be beggin for you to return. Bucks is bucks.
Laconia is about bikes..........

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure sounds like MB doesn't want any bikers. And I agree, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I'm no expert on the law, but I kown some cities have the right to enforce some of their own laws.

In Ventura CA, a few years back they passed a law against Recreational Vehicles parking on ANY public street. Now you can't even park your own RV in front of your own house (to load or unload it) unless you go buy a permit at city hall. Then that permit is ony good for a couple of days. This law was passed at city level with no help from the State. So I assume MB has the right to pass the helmet laws.

But it seem to me it really no different than Colorado. Isnt' Denver handing out tickets for ANY type of modification to exhaust? To me, that's worse than the helmet law. I'll pass thru Colorado, use their roadways and rest stops but will do everthing possible to NOT buy anything from that state.

Also for anyone knowing Cambria California, Moonstone Dr which a roadway running paraell to the beach with expenisve home and motels, the entire street does not allow any motorcycles. They have a huge sign at the beginning of the road, NO MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED. Another place to NOT spend my money.

Hey, maybe we could get a sticky for non biker friendly places.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake

In Ventura CA, a few years back they passed a law against Recreational Vehicles parking on ANY public street. Now you can't even park your own RV in front of your own house (to load or unload it) unless you go buy a permit at city hall. Then that permit is ony good for a couple of days. This law was passed at city level with no help from the State. So I assume MB has the right to pass the helmet laws.

HUGE difference, Municaplities are allowed to regulate parking on city streets, and they can (in most areas) dictate Speed Limits. BUT Vehicle safety, licensing, equipment, is ALL regulated by the state.

If every city, town or village were allowed to set this type of law, it would be chaos.

As for Denver, they did not pass the law, the state has had it on the books. Denver simply decided to enforce it. And like others, I'll stay the hell out of Denver.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In Calif that law would be illegal. You can't enact a law like that in a particular city - it would have to be a State Law period or none at all.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,527 Likes on 8,459 Posts

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
If you ride into a state that requires a helmet you need to wear one.
Does that work the other way around?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM
FKNDLX
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MB has adopted a helmet and noise limit for motorcycles, this small loophole was created when the state removed the school tax to lower out property taxes, at the same time it allowed each city/county to adopt ways to raise revenue to make up for the school tax loss, Myrtle Beach has chosen this way. It has passed and it in effect, I live in SC and if I go to MBBW (yeah right) I will have to bring a helmet, I'll go to Daytona or Sturgis instead. F em!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Does that work the other way around?
Yes, if you ride into a state that doesn't require one you don't need to wear one.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 PM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
Yes, if you ride into a state that doesn't require one you don't need to wear one.
Im pretty sure he meant if youre wearing one and ride into a state with no helmet law do you have to take yours off...

wink wink get it?

at least that how I took it

a no helmet law...

get it?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

They don't want me there, and I dam sure don't want too be there! Works out really good for the both of us.

Quick Reply: Interesting "spin" on MB Helmet Law