General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Route 66

Who's been there. How many miles and or states did you see on it? We are planning a trip from Indiana to Route 66 via St. Louis MO. and going as far west as we can get and back in a week. Need some tips on what to see and where to stop and stay? Any advise would help.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as a boy we took several trips between Illinois and Arizona on it. But that was before the interstates. I know there are several books on the mother road and I would bet there are more then a few web sites as well.

Wish I could add more.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
frankjake
Road Master

The longest section of the real route 66 is between Kingman Arizona and Crookton AZ. Crookton is about 60 miles west of Flagstaff. From that point, the old hwy just cuts in and out of the I-40.

We have been as far as Flagstaff on the bikes. Seligman is a small town and has a lot of little shops selling route 66 stuff, mostly junk made in China. But it's still fun to stop at a few places and have a bite to eat.

From what we were told, from Flagstaff heading east, you may pick up a few miles of the old route at best. Most of it has either been destroyed or abandoned for so long, that it's not passible any longer.

Everyone we talked to along the way told us to get a book if we wanted to really travel old route 66. There are many out there from what we were told, but since we were only going as far as Flagstaff, we didn't bother with a book. But it's definely worth the ride I think.

Have fun.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 PM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting working on Rt. 66 a couple of years ago on a trip to Cal. I rode across CA, AZ, and NM to Albuquerque.

There are some excellent books available on Rt. 66; check Amazon.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deluxechuck
Who's been there. How many miles and or states did you see on it? We are planning a trip from Indiana to Route 66 via St. Louis MO. and going as far west as we can get and back in a week. Need some tips on what to see and where to stop and stay? Any advise would help.
Lived on it, well, more like in a house on the side of it. Been on it from Chicago to the left coast ... which is about as far west as you can go on it. I also ride at least parts of it every year. My pop still lives in OK City and I ride from southern Utah to Oklahoma to see him. Interstate 40 across Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma has bunches of the old 66 route. In some spots you can still get off I-40 and ride the original road, though it's in disrepair in a lots spots.

Here's a few spots to see along the way (mostly Oklahoma west):

East of Oklahoma City: Arcadia -- Go see the Round Barn. Built in 1898 and restored a few years ago.

In Oklahoma City: Not actually on Rt66, but stop in downtown OKC to see the Oklahoma Memorial. I was in the courthouse the morning the federal building was blown up. I'm not a big memorial fan, especially since I lost friends in the blast, but I have to say it's something worth spending a little time to see.

Oklahoma City: If you like cowboys and the American west then go to the Cowboy Hall of Fame http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/

Cinton, OK: Route 66 museum

Texas Panhandle: Groom, TX: Look first (east to west) for the leaning water tower. You'll see if for miles. This part of Texas is flat as a 6th grader. A few miles down the road is a huge cross.

Texas Panhandle: Cadillac Ranch -- west of Amarillo right off I-40. Be careful and look for it or you'll miss it. Not that big, but it is funny to look at.

New Mexico: It's a bit off Rt 66 but Acoma Pueblo is an interesting site. Also known as Sky City, Coronado's army visited Acoma in the year 1540.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Candy Red
Tourer

From one end to the other several times

I even have a hunk of pavement from Devils corner, Rt 66 and NM hwy 6

Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

Originally Posted by frankjake
The longest section of the real route 66 is between Kingman Arizona and Crookton AZ. Crookton is about 60 miles west of Flagstaff. From that point, the old hwy just cuts in and out of the I-40..
and it's a great ride!

... well, till Flag anyways.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Was doing some search on this awhile back, it is on my long list of riding "to-do's." There are several sites on a google search but this one has quite a bit of info.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html

Have you thought about heading up to Chicago first to start at the beginning? It would be great if the country could ever get it all reconnected and built as the Mother Road again, but everything I've read about the long trip indicates you will have to research where you can find it and where you will have to jump the super slab to get to the next portion. I'm jealous! Enjoy the ride and make sure you stop and say "Hi" to the folk at Mother Road HD, my home away from home.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I would like to run it some day. Hopefully in the next few years.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've gone both ways on Route 66 from the start at Shoreline dr. in Chicago to the end at Palisades Park in Santa Monica, California where there is a plaque dedicated to the road and Will Rogers. My journey included the section that loops up through Santa Fe, New Mexico and back down to Albuquerque. The problem with Route 66 is simply that it has been so busted up you'll have to go looking for those offbeat sections that are no longer obvious and in some cases that section of the route comes to a dead end. I personally enjoyed the sections out west and especially those that were in New Mexico, Arizona (you have to see the mules freely walking the streets in Oatman) and California from Needles to Amboy (don't miss Amboy crater). In any event Route 66 is still a real hoot and well worth the time.

Quick Reply: Route 66