General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis

Can anyone give me an approach to finding a room at the 2009 Sturgis Rally? I've never been there and would like to find a place for a few nights. Is it possible at this late date?

Thanks for any help.

EC

Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 PM
frankjake
Road Master

We started looking for the August 07 rally in Feb 07, only 6 months prior to the event.

Let me tell you, I got on the internet and looked for motels/hotels anywhere around sturgis. You know the "event" doesn't just revolve right in Sturgis. There is tons of stuff to do with about a 50 mile radius. Right down town Sturgis is where you see all the bikes lined up in the street on TV.

Anyway, the only affordable thing I could find was 45 miles outside Sturgis in Sundance Wyoming. It was a Rodeway Inn. The room was tiny! Barely enough room to walk around the 2 beds and at a cost of $209 a night. We were lucky to get it.

But once we got to the event, we did see some motels that had signs saying "we still have rooms". But it one of those things where you take your chance.

Also, once you make a reservations, you can NOT cancel it or you will be charged!

So I suggest to get online, do a search for motels near sturgis and start calling. I honestly think searching the internet is about your best bet. You could try "sturgis.com" because they do have listings of places to stay, but you might pay an even higher price. Most places also have a minimum 4 night stay, some even longer.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check around online. I shopped around a couple of months ago and found a room in Rapid for $200 a night. But you will have a hard time finding anything for "a few nights". Most places (campgrounds included) require you to pay for the whole week.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM
budwfo
Road Captain

Is it possible to set up camp(tent) at like a road side park or similar area without having to pay out the ying-yang....

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd camp rather than pay big money for a crappy room. Plenty of great campsites to choose from.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budwfo
Is it possible to set up camp(tent) at like a road side park or similar area without having to pay out the ying-yang....
No. Everybody wants a piece of your wallet.

When it comes to Sturgis, forget everything you already know about "campgrounds". There are no numbered spaces, concrete/gravel pads, picnic tables, fishing holes, swimming areas, etc. "Rally campgrounds" as they are called are typically fields and pastures the other 50 weeks of the year. People living in town even rent out their yards to tent campers. If you think you've found a free spot, you're probably trespassing.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I inquired at a couple of different campgrounds last year about tent camping. $20.00 per night, no minimum stay. One was Bear Butte Creek, can't remember the other.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
dubblist
Tourer

Camp, camp, camp! I wouldnt pay for a hotel if my life depended on it. Those room rates are jacked up usually three of four times the normal rate. Driving up I90 to Sturgis there's tons of camping areas. Just pull over to one and check them out. All the camp sites will have tent camping open all week long. Buff Chip, Glendo, etc. Don't even need an appointment for tent camping. Most tent cmaping areas are cheap, around $100 for the week but Buff Chip and Glen are more ($300-$330) because of concerts and "enviroment" if you will. Those might also being the loudest of the camping areas so keep that in mind.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stayed at the Rapid Motel in Rapid city for $100 a night.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lightu
Can anyone give me an approach to finding a room at the 2009 Sturgis Rally? I've never been there and would like to find a place for a few nights. Is it possible at this late date?

Thanks for any help.

EC
Try Rapid City,

It's only about 20 miles or so from Sturgis with everything you'd need.

Quick Reply: Sturgis