General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of different approaches, depending on what you really want.

Even tho we have friends and family out there, Momma and I still camp. We go to visit ppl we only see at Sturgis. We like Katmandu campground, just south of Sturgis on I-90, 2 miles. Right next to the National Cemetary.
http://www.katmanducampground.com/

IF you are a party animal, then you want the Buffalo or Glencoe. There's plenty others, too.

Hotels/motels. You can go online, and book one. Note as previously posted, expensive and most are non-refundable.
Altho, with the drop in # last year, I've heard some relaxed that policy, NO PROOF by me, tho.
I know several couples we ride with here, who have been very successful, going online the month or two leading up to it. NOTE: the non-refundable? Well, Sturgis gets closer, job change, crash, divorce, illness what have you, chit happens.

Ppl realize they cannot afford or can't go. They are out the motel $$. Last few years, there have been a couple of websites pop up, where ppl can list their motel rooms. They are trying to recoup their $$. Depending on how flexible you are, .50 on the dollar is easy done. Some ppl are hesitant to do it, but those that I know, have never slept in the street.

Used to be, you could sneak off to Custer and stay in a lil Ma and Pa motel, but those days, like sleeping in Sturgis City Park, are LONG GONE. But the southern Hills has some nice riding.
In other words, if you can do a li'l finger walking and are not afraid to roll a pretty safe bet, you can stay up north for 3 or 4 days, and then migrate to the southern Hills for 3 days or so. And do it on a decent budget. IF you are a moteler.

I know this may sound crazy, but some of our friends are vendors and set up out there. Two of the, if not, the best days for sales? The Fri and Sat just previous. And some say it is Thurs previous. That many ppl go the week previous, to avoid the CROWD ??????

In all honesty, for the last 3 trips out there, I said, "This is it. My LAST time" Too stinkin' many ppl. And if it was 'just' to go to the rally, I seriously doubt if the tires on the chopper would ever roll thru Sturgis beer again. But we go to see the ppl we have met over the years. Not knowing if 'this' time, is the 'last' time. And then of course, we do enjoy the rally whilst there. BUT it'll never be, what it was. That's too bad, and real good, at the same time.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by krusr
Try Rapid City,

It's only about 20 miles or so from Sturgis with everything you'd need.
Ditto. $200 night last year and two of us split it.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
mikedetejas
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality Inn in Rapid City had rooms available for the rally dates as of two days ago.
$229 per night.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is where my brother and I stayed the last time we went in 06.
Yeah, you're gonna pay about $200 a night for 2 people but I've done the Chip and Glencoe in my younger days.
Now at 55, I enjoy a hot shower and a soft bed after a long day of riding and a night of partying.

http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/contr...4&brandInfo=DI

Who knows, an enclosed hauler may be in my future some day.

Doubt it but never say never,

Krusr

Last edited by krusr; 01-02-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

14yrs of riding out to sturg was enough for me...allways camped and allways went the 1st weekend to beat the bigger crowds of people,96 it was so bad to many cops and to many trailers and to PC. I made it my last.....Anyone remember when it was just about anything goes,thos were the days....