General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car tire on a harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. Ya ever see a car with motorcycle tyres?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
Yes... the OD is very close between the two, but you overlooked a few important points.
  1. The width difference is actually closer to 1.75" not 1.5" (6.3" vs. > 8.05" for the 205)
  2. Different width tires require different width rims. The recommended range for the stock 160-70 is 3.75" - 5.0"; for the 205-50 it's 5.5" - 7.5". These are manufacturer recommendations in order to keep the tire bead sealed. Even if you could somehow shoehorn the larger tire onto the narrower rim, it would bulge out more on the side, not "pull in."
  3. You'll never fit the wider tire inside your swingarm anyway, so the whole thing is moot.
This is aside from the fact that it is a terrible idea for a street driven bike, since automobile tires are not designed to be run on their edge. At best, it will handle poorly... at worst, the belts will break down from excessive lateral stress and the tire will fail suddenly and without warning.
You should be calling Mr.Lucky "Mr.Smart" because he is trying to help you! I agree with Lucky about a car tire not being designed to run on it's sidewall. Go to the tire store and look at a tire and tip it 40 degrees and see the amount of contact patch you have on the ground. Then look at your bike tire. If this was a good idea you would read about it all over the forum. However, it's your life. It is a know fact that there are allot of people that like to post the death and dismemberment threads. Please don't be the topic of one of those threads!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,362 Likes on 2,573 Posts

I see a lot of you never rode in the 60's,70's.G.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, when I was a kid Harleys had 15 inch rims and we regularly put car tires on them - a lot cheaper than a motorcycle tire. I've ridden miles that way and it only made a difference when you cornered hard - that I remember anyway.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buying MC tires as often as I have to sure makes me think that there must be another option. It gets $$$$.

But, different rubber compound, different profile, stronger sidewalls.........plus what my life means to me and my family........I'll stick to the MC tire.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I'd do it if I could find one that fit.
The tube would also need to fit. Putting a car tube in may require you to modify your rim due to the valve stem location.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

I'm confused at this thread. not one person has said it works better then a motorcycle tire, so whats the point? to save some cash?

sounds like some people dont like to think very much.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most of the radial tires i buy have the outer wall stiffer than the inner wall????just saying.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Squishy
Cruiser

Being Toyo and Yokahama certified I can tell you this is a HORRIBLE idea! Just because someone has jumped off a roof into a kiddie pool and lived doesn't mean everyone should do it. This is not only unsafe, it's stupid. The tires are not meant to lean in the way a bike tire does. Why do you think bike tires are more expensive? There is much more to the contruction. A drag bike would be the ONLY exception in this case.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:21 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,868 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I laced up a 15" rim on a rigid frame chopper back in the late 70s and put a Winston SAM steel belted radial tire on it for the looks of a fat tire. I only put about 15lbs of air in the tire to provide some shock absorbsion. The most notable thing about it was the handling in turns and curves. Depending on the speed I was going, the side wall would flex making it feel like the bike was slipping out from under me. The first few times it did that, my feet came off the pegs expecting to go down, but i got used to it. In long sweeping curves, the bike would kind of pogo as the sidewall would flex then unflex. The guy who I traded the bike to for a Goldwing went through the same learning curve, but at least he had some warning about it.

Last edited by EasternSP; 08-28-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: car tire on a harley