General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car tire on a harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Different strokes

I don't usually read the posts on car tires but am bored.

They work,ride good and are like a tootsie roll as they last a long time.
Yes they make the bike feel a little heavier in a curve but do not give up and you can drag the boards.
They are quiet.
Have better every day traction especialy in the rain.
REALLY great in the rain.
you do feel them at slow speeds in town.Not bad and you get used to it and adjust.
And they do not ride on the side walls so get over it.
Hell of a lot cheaper and safer and the insurance co. doesn't care.

I know a little about it as I had one on A 2011 RK for 20000 miles before trading it on my 2013 eg classic. I will have a car tire on it when the oe tire wears out probably around 12 to 15K miles.

You guys that run your head about unsafe need to ride one awhile before you talk about it. Not flaming but just get some experience before you trash it. Nothing wrong with OE either but I do not plan on doing any racing sooo? Just sayin

Have good day and what ever tire you have USE IT go for a ride.

latter

Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
jwhardin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I worked with a guy who ran car tires on his Honda VTX and met another on the road who had a car tire, another Honda, I thought it was just a metric thing
I suppose the right car tire would work (harley or not).

Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

We very nearly race at times, and always ride hard in the curves - only rear tire problems have been from my partners Avon MT slipping on either gravel or in the wet. Right behind him, I've never felt a thing with the CT.
One downside tho; I follow HIM because the CT throws rocks more than a MT. He also has a little more lean angle than I, so when he throws sparks, I know to really keep my line and add no more speed.
I hang off the seat sometimes, but no knees out!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider Steve
When it comes to the dark side some of those guys at the GW forum are full of poop. I spent a long time over there (6000 posts). I should know I also did a lot of reading over there before I tried the C/T. Many of them will run a C/T and never go back to a M/C just so others won't call them a sissy, or they sell it and don't say anything. Even had one guy who couldn't figure it out, Rocky thought wearing a C/T out in 5000 miles was something to brag about. Poor boy never did catch on about it being about how long you could make a tire last. Any little bump in the road at low speed is your enemy with the C/T.

I'm sure you do on flat even ground, but out in the real world there are on the ground obstacles you won't find on your closed course. Now get out there at low speed on uneven ground and lets see how many times you can dump your ride. You will.
Have to argue on this one our Boss Hoss has a very low profile 10 1/2" wide sticky on back and hardly feel what you speak of on bad roads certainly not afraid of turns other than dragging steel.
The much narrower biased tires we used back in the day on our rigid Harleys never felt anything and we cornered as hard as any motorcycle tire shod bikes.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Those who learn and practice the RLAP techniques don't DUMP their bikes, regardless of what kind of tire is on the back. I teach it, sometimes with an assist from my motorcop buds, about 3-4 time a year, and practice it a bit more (being the guy with all the cones).
Average joe riders may find out quickly that you don't run a CT diagonally over a curb or any ridges, but other than that, I don't see anyone posting about low speed problems aside of the initial surprise at edge tracking (I guess that's what to call it?). But to a lesser degree, the MT's do the same thing.
My only one-time problem was one day after checking the mailbox, and tried to ride into the drive over the gutter, but I was turning with the bike in the friction zone, so she stayed up nicely, although having to abort the turn. Now I check the mail, then do a circle in the road and go straight in.