General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car tire on a harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 AM
cray49a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only car tire that should be run on a bike is on a trike.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

You're missing the point about load ratings. Actually, the load rating is how much weight a tire is rated for in lbs. If the tires are run with a lighter load, you either have them aired up and hard as a rock, or you are running lower pressure, and that's when you start having problems with heat in the sidewalls. Couple that with the tire's tread profile, and what it's designed to do.

It's not just about contact patch, but cornering, and braking, and the angles in which they occur. Car tires and bike tires are two different things. You can run whatever floats your boat. I don't care. Don't ask me to, I ain't gunno go there.

And Avons come in different tire models. Some of them run for like 20,000 miles plus.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Again, it's a matter of reading. After 3-4 months of lurking the Darkside forums, the Gl1800 forums and anything I could find on them, the real clincher was seeing the video of the tire test machine. UNBELIEVABLE what they do to the tires to get them DOT approved!
As I said, I have a laser thermometer I carry all the time. I find hot tires in riding groups now and then - underinflated as you said, but never a DS tire. My sidewalls don't even get warm on the DRAGON, and we hit that puppy on the pegs.
Not trying to convince or influence anyone; just setting the record straight.
I run 36 lbs myself, others often run less. More will make it track ruts too much. Too low and it wallows in the sweepers - everyone has to find their sweet spot to suit their riding style, weight and bike configuration, so it's not for everybody and certainly not for dummies.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,404 Likes on 2,029 Posts

It is amazing that the ONLY people who knock it have NEVER ran a C/T. And the ones that have love them. Take that for what its worth.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Kumho Ecsta Run Flat on my Goldwing for 16,000 miles before I sold it for my Ultra. Great traction in corners and smooth as butter on the highway. I'm considering putting one on my Ultra. Like the post said before mine.... Don't knock it until you try it!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voldemort
I ran a Kumho Ecsta Run Flat on my Goldwing for 16,000 miles before I sold it for my Ultra. Great traction in corners and smooth as butter on the highway. I'm considering putting one on my Ultra. Like the post said before mine.... Don't knock it until you try it!
Don't worry, voldemort....it won't convince posters without a clue what they're talking about condemning the practice. I've got about 70K on my Valkyrie with CT's...works great....

Now....flame away, know-nothings!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

I am not knocking it. WHat I can't see is empirical data that supports why a car tire would be better than a motorcycle tire. not to mention the additional frame and axle stresses. Now if you think that your riding configuration might better dependant on the flex of a tire, then go for it. The problem I have with it is that the tire, whether better or not, simply is not designed for the application.

Why not write the company whose car tires you use on your bikes and ask them what they think of the practice? In the meantime, maybe you should also ask motorcycle tire companies why they don't produce more tires like a car tire that is designed for motorcycles. I'd like to hear their opinions too.

AGain, maybe you are onto something here. I just don't like the idea that some people think that because they like it, or it works for them, that they should have the right to shove it down my throat without any supporting evidence that sidewall flex is better than a tire that is intrinsically designed to corner. Come back with real evidence. Come back with a manufacturer's supported claim that it's better. I know I just paid 300 dollars for a motorcycle tire. If you are telling me tthere's a fifty dollar solution that is better, I'd love to hear about it.

I just don't think tire sidewalls are supposed to do that. I could be wrong. I don't think thgat the tread patterns support the theory either. Again, I could be wrong. Just explain to me how a tread pattern that is designed to go straight can also corner on a bake using the same physics.

Gotta run. I am late for work.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stretchman
I am not knocking it. WHat I can't see is empirical data that supports why a car tire would be better than a motorcycle tire. not to mention the additional frame and axle stresses. Now if you think that your riding configuration might better dependant on the flex of a tire, then go for it. The problem I have with it is that the tire, whether better or not, simply is not designed for the application.

Why not write the company whose car tires you use on your bikes and ask them what they think of the practice? In the meantime, maybe you should also ask motorcycle tire companies why they don't produce more tires like a car tire that is designed for motorcycles. I'd like to hear their opinions too.

AGain, maybe you are onto something here. I just don't like the idea that some people think that because they like it, or it works for them, that they should have the right to shove it down my throat without any supporting evidence that sidewall flex is better than a tire that is intrinsically designed to corner. Come back with real evidence. Come back with a manufacturer's supported claim that it's better. I know I just paid 300 dollars for a motorcycle tire. If you are telling me tthere's a fifty dollar solution that is better, I'd love to hear about it.

I just don't think tire sidewalls are supposed to do that. I could be wrong. I don't think thgat the tread patterns support the theory either. Again, I could be wrong. Just explain to me how a tread pattern that is designed to go straight can also corner on a bake using the same physics.

Gotta run. I am late for work.
DANG!

Sure most hurt having something shoved down your throat, are you sure somebody on an internet forum actually is shoving soemthing down your throat. You did open the thread on your own right?

Talking about drama.

Just saying.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Reminds me of a joke:
Why do they call them car tires?
Because they're for cars.

Quick Reply: car tire on a harley