General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car tire on a harley

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 AM
BeHereNow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could get 10,000 miles on a tire I wouldn't be on the Darkside.
My Triumph Rocket III gets 3000 miles, after that I've got steel belts showing. Some guys get less than 2000 on a MCT.
The tire on my '76 Sportster (way back then) looked more like a CT than today's MCT.
Everything that can be said has been said.
Lots of theory of why it is not a good idea, no failures, no wear on the sidewall even though we drag the pegs through the twisties, nobody running off the road or dumping it in the gravel.
I run a Riken Raptor 225/55 ZR High Performance CT.

The worst part of the MCT is that the last third of it's life I'm sweating bullets on wet roads, and the fun twisties are no longer fun. I feel much safer in the twisties with the CT, than with a 3/4 used MCT.

The skills are a little different for the Darkside, just like switching from a sport bike to a cruiser. After 500-1000 miles things are just fine. Right from the very start 75% of the time the CT inspires much more confidence, the other 25% follows with time.
I'm saving $1000 a year in tires, and having fun doing it to boot.
The CT gives me me more feel for the road, reminds me of drivng a cage with rack and pinion steering. I like that, other don't.

My apologies to those think I'm beating a dead horse, but hey, you didn 't have to click onto this thread.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For those that know better,and do mostly cruising,car tires work great.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:30 AM
helixhippie
Road Master

Originally Posted by CroK
Do what you have to do to be cool, I came by it naturally. Never had to do a damned thing, myself. I seem to get attention no matter where I go without any attempt... then when I ride by you layin next to yer sweet lookin bike layin on it's side on the outside of a curve on I 95, I'll say "damn, glad I don't do **** like that"
That right there tells me you're waaayy too cool to be my friend.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM
matt25
Road Captain

done it. works great can get 25k mi out of a 40dollor tire.and your bike will corner the same as it alloways has. the hardest part is getting the beed to set.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
grandpadave
Stage II

Well here we go again m/c vs c/t all I can say is if you havent tried it you dont know chit just sayin it aint safe & saying it dont hold in the rain arnt facts I wanna know where do you get that chit? ride one first and then say that. I dont think it will happen at the most you might switch and never go back I did look at the facts ride through water while turning and then go look at the foot print the c/t leaves 2-3x the print of the m/c tyre they hold better cause more rubber on the road and last longer. read some then ride some before you talk chit about what you dont know nothing about.

toyo T1R or the R1R are my choice try it before you decide it aint for youand
Ride Safe Grandpadave

Last edited by grandpadave; 12-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm liking this one.
Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/50 ZR17 93W BSW

Click here for more info on tire.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I have read all 11 pages of posts on this subject and have a couple of observations:

1. There is a total lack of empirical data to support either side.

2. Those that are opposed to it, have never tried it and have no real life experience with it.

3. Those that support it are currently running a CT.

It seems it its broken down to 2 sides and an analogy comes to mind.... Who are you going to trust about what childbirth feels like?
A woman who has been through it, or a man who is just positive he knows what it is like???

I listen more intently to those who have experienced what they are talking about.

Nomsayin???

Now if someone presents sound, scientific empirical data on testing and failures, that trumps all.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-07-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the people in this thread have no idea what they're talking about. I've been running car tires for the past 60K miles on my Valkyrie....a great many valk riders run them. My first two were Hankook Ventus, and the one on the bike currently is a Toyo Proxes...all have been 205 55 16, which fits easily into the fender with very minimal modification (trimming a fender stay bracket and bolt). A few people run 205 60 16, but that requires more modification.

To do this right you need a Z rated high speed radial with a nice rounded profile. If you follow somebody riding 'the darkside' through the twisties you'll find they have more rubber on the road EVEN on turns that require severe leans than does a normal motorcycle tire. A good high performance radial is quite rounded and deforms when the bike leans....so there is no transitional period when you're riding on the tread, and then the side of the tire....it's all tread on the road all the time. The few people I've met that didn't care for them are the ones that cheaped out and bought a radial with sharp edges....like something you'd see on a Crown Vic.

I've ridden the things in the rain, on dirt, and every kind of mountainous twisty terrain. They're rock solid. The weight and the power of the motorcycle nowhere approach the stresses these tires are built to handle. The Valkyries have more power and weight than most Harleys, and in the years I've been riding them (along with literally hundreds if not thousands of 'dark side' riders) I've never heard of a car tire failure. The biggest problem for Valk riders is that they will often put so many miles on the bike between rear tire changes that the lubrication interval for the rear drive splines gets ignored.....you need to pull off the tire to inspect and relube the splines about half way through the car tire life (at about 12K). Honda was counting on selling you a $300 tire every 9k, and they'd normally lube the splines on that interval.

Course' the doubters can all sit on their butts and opine about how it couldn't work, and it's unsafe, etc....but the fact of the matter it works quite well....and compared to all of the other risks associated just with riding a motorcycle....is quite safe.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Irony. I got banned from a Harley Davidson forum, not here obviously, for giving my "opinion" about running a CT on a bike.

Ignorance runs deep in some people but that isn't to say their opinion isn't valid or more valid than other's.

The comment about running a quality tire is right on.

The only reason more people on HD's aren't running CT's is because it's only in the last few years the rear rims on stock HD's can handle them and only on certain models. Give it a few more years and more people on HD's will be running them.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

three questions: 1- what is the cost difference? 2- what is the value of your life? 3- is #1 worth #2?

Quick Reply: car tire on a harley