General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was "shocked" !

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
It's been years sense I rode beside a metric cruiser . I bought my Harley about two years ago. I didn't shop the metric market. Didn't care. I wanted a Harley Davidson. I thought , surly with that sound and look, these bikes will run. Well I joined a riding group in our city which is predominately metric. I thought , well iv got the harley with it's mod's. Im one bad biker. It blew me away when I looked around and most the metric cruisers have more ci than harley and a LOT more torque. Water cooled. Smooth and look good. Well im here to tell you those metrics will walk on a harley. Pissed me off to no end. I love my bike but this is BS. Harley is one of the most well known motorcycles around the world and now , the slowest cruiser in the cruiser line. So where was Harley Davidson while the cruiser market pass the hell out of them ?????
Has anyone else noticed this ?
Yes I have. Love the Raider myself, but decided to throw more money into my softail to equal it and then some. Cheaper than trading it in and the potential is there for an awesome ride. As it comes from the factory, not really impressive. For that reason, and the price, I will never buy a new Harley again. They really need to get their poop together.
Ron

Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

And yes i rode a Harley before i bought it. And im here to tell you i was shocked at how little power it had. I even took it back to the shop and ask the mechanic if the freakin thing was ok. It couldnt get out of its own way. I've had to spend $5K on my engine and still its not what i want. the sad part about it is the other metric cruisers already have the torque and power.

I personally would of never bought a harley if it wasnt for my wife.
I too would be pissed if I bought something I didn't want, especially if I had a chance to try it out and realize I didn't like it, but did it anyway because of my wife.

What I wouldn't do is be pissed off at the manufacturer because I'd realize I'm responsible for what I decide to purchase.

Horse power and torque data is published all over the place. A smart consumer knows what they're buying and decides to make the purchase because it will suit their needs.

Lesson learned.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not looking for tons of speed or ungodly amounts of power. I like Harleys for the ride, the experience, the sound, the feel. I've ridden metric cruisers, water cooled, etc. Smooth isn't even the half of it. I can barely tell the thing's even on! The only giveaway is the slight putter from the exhaust. The feel? Metrics feel like they're made of plastic. There's just little to no excitement compared to a Harley in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HERE DUDE LETS TAKE YOUR POST AND DEAL WITH IT. Your freakin harley couldn't get out of it's way if it had to. Let me explain. With my other bikes encluding my bigdog chopper, i could hit the throttle and it would move fast to get out of the way of a car or what have you. When i got my FLHX, that freakin thing couldn't move fast enough to get away from a lady that i just shot the bird and she got in front of me and hit those breaks. If i had been on any of my other bikes, i could of moved faster and got out of the way. I love power and torque. thats why i bought a motorcycle in the first place. Not to get from point A to B but to get there with power and torque. i enjoy feeling it. Not wishing i had it. I feel Harley should sue all the technology possible to build a strong engine. Not one you have to do 12 stages just to have power and make their pocketbook fat. Hype ! Theyve got people with this lifestyle talk. WHAT FREAKIN LIFE STYLE ? IT'S A DAM BIKE .
man I get tired of this stuff........get a metric.....

Last edited by tima; 01-01-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
ms3300
Road Captain

Slightly different opinion. I have an 08 EGC, my bro ride an 08 Kawi Vulcan Nomad. Comparable engines. On rides we trade off riding each others. His bike does not feel any more "powerful" than mine, nor does it ride as comfortable or as stable. I thought it was just my natural bias but he has made the same comment numerous times to me. Not knocking his scoot, it is a nice ride..just saying the ol' Harley can hold its own. Besides Harley's are not known for speed, why would you buy one for that. My ride is superior to his (he agrees), quality build is superior (he agrees) acceleration seems to be comparable (he agrees) and the technology is better on mine (he agrees). I like his scoot, its just not a Harley.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HERE DUDE LETS TAKE YOUR POST AND DEAL WITH IT. Your freakin harley couldn't get out of it's way if it had to. Let me explain. With my other bikes encluding my bigdog chopper, i could hit the throttle and it would move fast to get out of the way of a car or what have you. When i got my FLHX, that freakin thing couldn't move fast enough to get away from a lady that i just shot the bird and she got in front of me and hit those breaks. If i had been on any of my other bikes, i could of moved faster and got out of the way. I love power and torque. thats why i bought a motorcycle in the first place. Not to get from point A to B but to get there with power and torque. i enjoy feeling it. Not wishing i had it. I feel Harley should sue all the technology possible to build a strong engine. Not one you have to do 12 stages just to have power and make their pocketbook fat. Hype ! Theyve got people with this lifestyle talk. WHAT FREAKIN LIFE STYLE ? IT'S A DAM BIKE .

HUM.....it seems you speak with Fork Tongue...at least judging from the below which was YOU in a Thread Topic that YOU even started just 2 weeks ago on here.......LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

I was looking through the touring section when BAM ! , I ran across a so called member posting about yet another metric bike he bought. This really gets to me. First. If your having problems finding the metric forums, Google ! Second, we really don't care about your metric or how good of a price you got it at. Little do they know we all know why they chose a cheap mockup look a like Harley rather than the real thing. YOUR CHEAP ! Then they get on here and give us fifteen reasons why they bought a metric rather than a Harley. Give me a freakin break. Harley's number one. If they weren't ,then everyone wouldn't be making knockoff's to look like harley. So you got cheap and bought a metric. YOU LOOSE. So stop posting here looking for us to praise you for your purchase. No it's not better than a Harley. Get over it !

I have a lot of friends we ride with that own metric knock off's and the first thing they want me to do is ride their bike, so I do. I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me just from the simple fact their trying to take away from an american icon. To me, Harley is number one. I own one now. I always will.

The deal is this. I here it from my friend's and others, Harley VS what ever bike they have. My metric is better than your Harley. Everything VS harley. Even in the front of this site it's got Harley VS. Then I come here to get a break and be with like minded Harley owners and I see yet another Harley VS post, or what about this metric or that metric. WTF ? Im beginning to wonder if im going to get attacked by a bunch of metric guys when I stop for gas. As for as im concerned, there's only one motorcycle for me PERIOD !
Owning a metric bike is ok to me. I will even ride with you. But im getting bombarded with people coming up to me talking about how a metric bike is better than a Harley. GET REAL DUDE ! Harley is it to me. We have the worlds most sot after motorcycle in the world . The best most equipped service departments. Fantastic stores . Well placed locations beside the highway for easy access. The clothing ROCKS ! Quality accessaries and a motorcycle that holds it's value better than any motorcycle on the market. The sound is second to none. To me, there's " Harley " and those other bikes. That's it for me. I don't care what you think or how much you try to convince me your metric pile of plastic is better than my Harley. It's a knockoff of my American heritage . It's an insult. A sellout. Makes me feel you were one of those that hit the border when our country went to war, and then tried to convince us why you think it was a better choice.
Harley is the best hands down. I would guess it will always will be to me. So let me give you some advice. Google your favorite brand of metric sellout and have a blast. Don't bring that crap here.

It's how I feel. It's how I live. My Harley Depicts who I am as a person. I out right love my harley and all it stands for and yes I have a harley tattoo. From the first time I rode one, that was it for me. I love the quality , sound . I get sick of metric posers who wished they had of bought a Harley coming over to me and on here trying to sell the fact they bought a knock off. then get offended if someone says something back at them about it.
Now for those that can't afford a Harley. I completely understand. And if you don't bash harleys, Your welcome to ride with me any time. It's those rats that don't have anything better to do than to get on this site and dig at people and start those freakin Harley VS post and or bash harleys. If you don't like harley, Google another site. For the most part, everyone here will defend Harley . It's a way of life, but I don't think you would understand. You think it's a hunk of metal with a motor.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

When i got my FLHX, that freakin thing couldn't move fast enough to get away from a lady that i just shot the bird and she got in front of me and hit those breaks. If i had been on any of my other bikes, i could of moved faster and got out of the way.
then there must be something wrong with your bike. i have never had any problem getting away from a cage, esp. if they are dicking with me. the only thing i've done to my bike is the stage I so its not a 'big monster' that i've dumped thousands of dollars into. i can go from zero to speeding ticket in about 2.5 seconds. how much faster you wanna go?

regarding an earlier post about hd going watercooled, i believe, and from what i've read/heard, most others do to, that when hd goes watercooled, they are going to lose a lot of their 'loyal' customer base. i grew up around harleys, so when i went to get a bike, there was no question, hd all the way. if you want to ride a metric, cool, its your ***, put it where you want it. but i choose to put my *** on my hd. if you like metrics better, sell your hd, and go get one, just stfu about it. in case you hadn't noticed, we don't care.

Originally Posted by gs34doc
What is hard for me to understand is the fact that this is supposedly a Harley Davidson Forum and there are folks on here constantly bashing Harley Davidson. Then, when they are called on it, they take the heat and scream like someone is standing on their Johnson.
And the moderators evidently condone it because they say nothing.
Strange. Very strange indeed.
There's probably not this much Harley bashing on the metric nets!!
maybe because the moderators know that these small minded folks don't bother us. just a clear cut case of hd envy. as far as hd bashing on the metric boards? you have got to be kidding me? there is about 5 times the amount there then there is here.

Last edited by skratch; 01-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

how bout this?... You can get a metric bike and just let me know when and ill come and pick up the HD from you

Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Who buys a Harley for speed and torque? Those who want that tear them down and get it. I bought a Harley because there was no other choice.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

That's funny my 07 FXSTC with stay with my oldest son's 07 M109r and my youngest son's 05 VTX 1800. And is is faster than my Vulcan Classic 1600. Maybe you just don't know how to ride.

If speed is what you are after why are you on a cruiser? Any 4 cylinder sport bike will out run a cruiser HD or metric. You bought the wrong bike dummy.

Quick Reply: I was "shocked" !