General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was "shocked" !

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
It's been years sense I rode beside a metric cruiser . I bought my Harley about two years ago. I didn't shop the metric market. Didn't care. I wanted a Harley Davidson. I thought , surly with that sound and look, these bikes will run. Well I joined a riding group in our city which is predominately metric. I thought , well iv got the harley with it's mod's. Im one bad biker. It blew me away when I looked around and most the metric cruisers have more ci than harley and a LOT more torque. Water cooled. Smooth and look good. Well im here to tell you those metrics will walk on a harley. Pissed me off to no end. I love my bike but this is BS. Harley is one of the most well known motorcycles around the world and now , the slowest cruiser in the cruiser line. So where was Harley Davidson while the cruiser market pass the hell out of them ?????
Has anyone else noticed this ?
I hear ya! It amazes me that people don't see any problem with having to dump $4-5K into their Harley just to get the horsepower out of it that it should have had on the showroom floor.

I fully understand the 19th century technology and the idea of putting a narrow engine on a bicycle frame but most people, and companies, develop their products to the latest technology and move forward.

Don't get me wrong, I like my scooter but, anyone that thinks the Moco is doing its customer base right by putting out a near 100 ci engine with no more than 65 hp in the 21st century is just foolishly defending an atrocity of corporate greed.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sniff sniff...essence of troll...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Juno
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously you didn't bother to test ride before purchase or you wouldn't make these statements. Oh well, maybe you're best suited for a Yamachopper. Sorry you are so unhappy with your scoot.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
2003Sport
Cruiser

I'm glad I ride a slow bike because it keeps my *** outta trouble for one, but more importantly it fits the way I ride. The speed limit here is 70, I rarely go that fast, more like 60. What takes me an hour in my cage, takes 2 on the bike pretty much. If you wanna go fast buy a damn crotch rocket, as for me I'll stick with my slow *** Harley and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper77
I hear ya! It amazes me that people don't see any problem with having to dump $4-5K into their Harley just to get the horsepower out of it that it should have had on the showroom floor.
(cut some)
+1 sniper
Perusing the classified the other day and ran across this…………

2004 Harley-Davidson Sceamin' Eagle Electra Glide
FLHTCSE 31,000 miles. Engine redone at 28,000. It will run with the Gold Wings. Engine Specs: Cases split- Tinker roller bearing installed, Extensive head work, flowed, ported, and angle charge, 1.940 Ferrea Intake valves and 1.625 HD Exhaust. SandS Gear Drive cam conversion kit. Titanium lift springs and push rod. Jims hydrosolid lifters, no bleed down - turn solid at 3-3500 rpm. Jims Roller rockers. Delcron forged rocker arm supports brackets. Zippers EFI manifold, Zippers 54 mil throttle body. Zippers Thunder Max (THUNDER HEART IGNITION) Redshift 657 Cams. Wiseco 4" sleeper conversion w/10.5-1 fitted pistons. Rinehart true duals exhaust.Ride str8 Stabilizer, No high speed wobbles even at 125mph. Bottom line is this is a 110 incher my way. Not HDs way. 126 ft lbs of torque 117hp. My way works. Very sophisticated, expensive bike that will run with the Wings.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And why you want to go fast again????????????? You should go buy a metric right away....

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by sniper77

I fully understand the 19th century technology and the idea of putting a narrow engine on a bicycle frame but most people, and companies, develop their products to the latest technology and move forward.

Don't get me wrong, I like my scooter but, anyone that thinks the Moco is doing its customer base right by putting out a near 100 ci engine with no more than 65 hp in the 21st century is just foolishly defending an atrocity of corporate greed.
That really gets me. You speak nothing but the truth and youre labeled a TROLL. Amagine that ! Your speaking the truth. thats exactly what im talking about. Im shocked that Harley hasn't come up with a water cooled engine that actualy has power.

And yes i rode a Harley before i bought it. And im here to tell you i was shocked at how little power it had. I even took it back to the shop and ask the mechanic if the freakin thing was ok. It couldnt get out of its own way. I've had to spend $5K on my engine and still its not what i want. the sad part about it is the other metric cruisers already have the torque and power.

I personally would of never bought a harley if it wasnt for my wife.

I think most people buy into the harley Gimic hype cause they think it makes them cool or tuff. the dark side. So while were all riding around trying to look bad ***, the metrics are walking on us. So whos bad *** now ? thats what pissed me off. How about harley stepping up to the plate and giving its customers some power rather than the shaft. NOW THATS THE FACTS !

Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 01-02-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: I think I wasted my time posting photo's, so I removed them!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think sometimes we spend too much time looking at spec sheets. I routinely go out and play with a couple of VTXs (one big, one smaller displacement). On real roads doing some moderately aggressive riding I just haven't seen that much difference in real-world performance. I'm pretty darn happy with mine and my Honda riding buddies spend an awful lot of time looking mine over. It's all good!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Airpump
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
Let's be careful with the assumption that I want or would ride a metric or think my harley second best. All im saying is I sure wish Harley would step up to the plate and build a engine with power. I can tell you a lot of riders are losing THAT RESPECT thing about the harleys. There starting to see it as a SLOW BIKE.
HP is a must for some!!!

The only concern that I have had since 03 is the cam chain tensioner problem that I found on my 03, 04 and 06 FLHTC's. Especially, when I found the inside one on my 2006 worn .030 and full of casting holes at 8,250 miles. And all the while using their cherished syn oil.

Sure, I could spend a grand or so and install gearing or the new hydraulic setup, but that is not my problem, that belongs to the H-D engineers who should have recognized this serious issue soon after the 1999's came out and not waited until 2007 to correct the problem.

When I spend my hard earned $$$$$$$$$ for any item that falls between A-Z, I want the best product available, not excuses.

There is no doubt that many, many H-D riders have left the fold because of inferior products over the years. Maybe they did no better when they arrived in the Jap market, personally I could care less.

I have jumped myself from Ford to Chevy, to Dodge and on and on and on.
Maybe that is the reason the big three are in Washington with a tin cup in their hands, but that is another story.

In summary, If you are going to build the damn thing whatever it is, do the best you can, use all the current technology to provide your devoted followers something they can brag on every minute of everyday or turn it over to those who will!!!

My 2 cents

Quick Reply: I was "shocked" !