General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was "shocked" !

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbluefatboy
The thing that has always kinda got to me was that the metric bikes can go fast, in alot of cases faster than Harleys, and for less than 1/2 the price. I have alot of money in my bike and motor, for example A friend of mine has a suzuki of some sort thats a cruiser, but he paid 10K for his bike, and I have more than that in motor work, and I dont beat him by much. Its alittle depressing.
I choose to ride a Harley for a reason, and I would never go back.
MY POINT EXACTLY. and the very reason i was so bent about two weeks ago about metrics VS Harley. When you pay out that kind of cash and a metric cruiser half the cost pulls up and walks off on you...that sucks. And don't listen to one ounce of BS here about these Harley riders don't care if anyone blows their doors off. We all know that's what harley depends on. MOD's MOD's MOD's . Sure i love my harley. Am i happy with the performance end. NO. But to be ho0nest. I really don't know a Harley owner that is happy with performance end of the Harley.

Thus the very reason for this thread. I actually thought i could get an objective opiion from like minded owners, but the coolaid im a harley man or die bunch just couldn't do it.

Weather or not they deal with it has no bearing on the fact that the metric market has walked on Harley PERIOD. People don't come up to a harley like they used to. All i hear now is im not paying that kind of money for something as antiquated as a harley. they see us as suckers and stuck in the old school of buying into the bad image hype.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Weather or not they deal with it has no bearing on the fact that the metric market has walked on Harley PERIOD. People don't come up to a harley like they used to. All i hear now is im not paying that kind of money for something as antiquated as a harley. they see us as suckers and stuck in the old school of buying into the bad image hype.[/QUOTE]

Who are 'they', and why should we (or you) give a rats *** what 'they' think?? I didn't buy my bike for 'them', but maybe you (or your old lady) did??? I love my Harley, and I understood its shortcomings and limitations *before* I bought it. The fact that you're now 'shocked' tells me that you didn't.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Decreased Demand for Japanese Motorcycles

Decreased Demand for Japanese Motorcycles

December 24, 2008 - The Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) reports that a number of negative factors have impacted Japan's motorcycle market this year, including higher vehicle prices reflecting mandatory compliance with new emissions regulations as well as a deteriorating economic environment stemming from the global financial crisis.

Demand has also declined in Japan as a result of stronger crackdowns on illegal parking and the chronic shortage of motorcycle parking bays in cities and towns.

On the other hand, surging fuel prices have underscored for consumers the economy and convenience of motorcycles in the <125cc category.

Nevertheless, and despite other positive developments such as new product launches, domestic market conditions are severe. Total motorcycle demand in Japan in calendar 2008 is estimated at 570,000 units, down 21.1% from 2007. Declining sales have been recorded in all motorcycle categories except for the 51-to-125cc category.

2009 sales decreases are projected in all model categories, with total Japanese domestic motorcycle demand expected to drop to 498,000 units, down 12.6% from 2008.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

All that are looking for the Harley coolaid line, it's not here. You get no point's for brown nosing on this thread. You must go to the genuine Harley thread to get bonus points and eventual 10% off all accessaries.

GEEEEESH ! The horse is down. IT'S DEAD . Beating it wont bring it back to life. LET IT GO !

Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
hogx2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
That's exactly what im saying, and have tried to say this complete thread. Amazing how it get's the coolaid bunch so worked up. Im still talking about harley. Harley has rode on tha fact that people like these will follow them down to the bottom and haven't done anything to bring harley to a competitive edge, and i don't believe harley's sales were more than the metric market. I haven't ran up on one young person that was interested in the Harley. the metric market has them.
I know one, me son. Bought his '07 streetbob new. He was 23 at the time. I think that is young.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I really don't know if it's number one, maybe for a couple of years . It's like a craze. Loans were easy to get and everyone decided to give the wild biker Harley life style a shot. Now you can find harleys for sale everywhere. Cycle trader is full and there everywhere on the street with for sale signs hanging on them. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next five years. Harley has to comply with EPA standards and still be competitive in the market. Now they step into the arena that the metric market has been in for years. So it will be interesting to see who else Harley get's to make another engine this time.
Im just hoping for something efficient with power and liquid cooled. Something competitive and price worthy.
Let's break that down,

Harley Davidson had 49% market share in 08 for heavy cruisers.
HD for sale 1584
Rice 2371
That doesn't include other cruisers produced by European companies.

HD can currently comply with 2010 EPA regs. So whats the problem?

The V rod motor was designed and built by HD. But to substantially improve its durability Porsche was contracted to take the motor and refine it to meet the vigorous conditions it was going to be subjected to in the real world.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

im 20, ill be riding HD for the rest of my life

Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
comaman2
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the way my harley feels its a solid piece of iron,i have sat on metrics in the show rooms and the first thing i notice they dont fit right the reach to the handle bars is awkward not comfortable,and they all feel light and tinny,if it takes apiece of rice to make you happy go to the local china star,but dont get on the forum and belittle what so many of us here enjoy, and that would be riding the grandest motorcycle ever made

Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

GEEEEESH ! The horse is down. IT'S DEAD . Beating it wont bring it back to life. LET IT GO !
You're right, the horse is dead. But you decided to drag this tired a$$ed discussion in to the here and now, so enjoy the back and forth senseless merry-go-round. You'll get tired of it, and so will we, and this thread will sink to the abyss like many others.

If your ***** weren't locked up in your wife's purse, and instead you purchased the bike you really wanted, right now you'd be on a metric forum talking about what product is best to polish the chrome plated plastic parts on your bike. Instead, you're here enjoying the silliness of getting people irritated over... nothing.

There are many examples of older technology being desirable over newer technology for similar products across the marketplace. This is no different. The only problem here is you purchased something and want it to be something else. You did this after testing out the product and knowing full well what you were getting.

In the end, all you're doing is taking out your frustration on everyone else, when really you should direct all that hot air right at yourself for making an ignorant purchase. You're the one with the koolaid mustache.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to laugh at your metric buddies, next time they want to race challenge them to a slow race. The harley is balanced so much better than any metric that you can easily win your race. Go Harley.

Quick Reply: I was "shocked" !