General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was "shocked" !

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to drive slow and cruise along, don't need speed, that is why I bought mine

Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

Is it me or did I miss something? I've always associated "cruiser" with "laid back" not "speed" or "horse power". If you feel like you need the speed or horse power by all means, get a metric, ride what you want. I don't feel mislead, tricked or cheated with my Ultra.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 tima, I like my bikes power and speed just the way it is and if i want to make a change, i could do so

Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Jon H
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD or metric?
Do some research this way:
Look at how much part prices are for a particular model/make.
Take a look at a five year old bike's part prices, a 10 year old bike's part prices, etc...
Look when these parts become obsolete and are now longer available.
Look at how many after-market suppliers there are.
Prices and availability of parts are the real answer.
Just my two cents!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Load those metric cruisers up with 100 pounds of gear and a trophy on the back and head cross country. When I road metrics, I would not risk riding hundreds of miles a day hundreds of miles from home out of fear of a major mechanical failure. I won't hesitate to take the HD from one end of the earth to the other fully loaded. Sure my metrics were faster, but loaded for touring running 70+ miles an hour over a 4,000 ft. mountain pass, nothing beats HD!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:36 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

How fast you wanna go? It's a HD. Just love it for what it is.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,131 Likes on 7,344 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
It's been years sense I rode beside a metric cruiser . I bought my Harley about two years ago. I didn't shop the metric market. Didn't care. I wanted a Harley Davidson. I thought , surly with that sound and look, these bikes will run. Well I joined a riding group in our city which is predominately metric. I thought , well iv got the harley with it's mod's. Im one bad biker. It blew me away when I looked around and most the metric cruisers have more ci than harley and a LOT more torque. Water cooled. Smooth and look good. Well im here to tell you those metrics will walk on a harley. Pissed me off to no end. I love my bike but this is BS. Harley is one of the most well known motorcycles around the world and now , the slowest cruiser in the cruiser line. So where was Harley Davidson while the cruiser market pass the hell out of them ?????
Has anyone else noticed this ?
They were busy creating a life style that we all bought into which made a lot of folks RICH $$$ from the top down to the dealers. I really don't think they care but that will proably change as sales decline. We did a ride today and the Harley guys and the Gold Wing guys all showed up. There were 100 bikes and 65 were Gold Wings. Those guys have just as big a smile as we do and love their machines.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TowJam
And yet there are a lot of us Harley owners who live in the real world and like the bikes for what they are - low maintenance, high reliability

I take you didn't own a Harley in the 70's (esp the AMF days), 80's or 2/3 of the way through the 90's then huh? LOL

Old 01-01-2009, 06:40 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Pig
I take you didn't own a Harley in the 70's, 80's or 2/3 of the way through the 90's then huh? LOL
I dont know BP, I have an 82 FXRS and that bike hasnt had any problems. Besides normal maintenance and 25 years later the 4 little O ring caps on the face of the rocker box leaking... The bike is sound and has no leaks.... on and the Keihin Carb lasted 26 years

But then again, Maybe im just a lucky one

well actually, its the 1st year BACK from AMF

Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Drclev3
Road Master

I bought my Heritage to cruise not Hall A$$ It gets me where I am going when I need to get there.Nothing wrong with Metric if that is what you like. I just dont have the need for speed.

Quick Reply: I was "shocked" !