General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was "shocked" !

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

[quote=JBaker421;4316687]
It's 113 inches V-twin stock - 1850 cc. It doesn't run hot.
Yamaha dealers will deal and you can buy that bike for not more than $12.5k - probably less. It lists for under $14k
Just for me, I'd like to know why Harley can't/doesn't build an engine like that.[/qoute]

I think it's a matter of "doesn't" vice "can't" and it's a worthy topic of discussion.

FLHXXHLF = troll

Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
I see a problem and that's the younger group. My son and his friends hate Harleys and I think that's a problem for Moco down the road. I'm afraid that Harley's customer base is aging.

Someone said that you get power from a metric at twice the rpm - not so in all cases. The Yamaha Star Raider (above) develops 125 ft lb of torque at less than 3,000 rpm right out of the box. No need for a stage 1 or even more.

The only thing I'd change is the exhaust, for looks. The bike above already has that done.

It's 113 inches V-twin stock - 1850 cc. It doesn't run hot.

Yamaha dealers will deal and you can buy that bike for not more than $12.5k - probably less. It lists for under $14k

Just for me, I'd like to know why Harley can't/doesn't build an engine like that.

$.02

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...8/0/specs.aspx
that's what the "blind following the Blind" can't see and refuse to see the facts. They all jump up and scream HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT HARLEY. It's funny. IT'S A BIKE MADE OF METEL DUDE. ! I don't think any of them can see that all this bad a s s image is hype. Marketing. The facts are still the same. America sold out long ago and that's whats wrong with our country now.

Like it or not, most any metric will blow the doors off a harley and YES the VTX's will eat a harley. If you don't think so, run up on one acting bad and see who gets left.

Now, to prove my point as I was saying in previous post, I ride with a group of guys that have both metrics and Harleys. Im here to tell you right now- Kawasaki 2000 , Honda VTX , goldwing , Yamaha , Suzuki , victory, all will walk on the harley in torue and power. that's shameful. No one is following Harley anymore or want to look like Harley. In fact, I can't tell you the last time I had a metric rider come up to my Harley and want to look. those days are over. I think these people should wake up.

And I think your right. I don't know any young men wanting harleys. the first thing out of their mouth is , "those bikes are slow " grandpa bikes" . And they don't care much for Buell. So your right, the blind harley owner tipe is fading and will soon be gone.

And to think all this came from saying all i would like is for Harley to step up to the plate and make an engine that actually had power. OH and harley didn't make the v rod engine. Harley outsourced it. Pretty much like anything else they do anymore.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by titusvilleharley
harley does not care about all that h.p you own a piece of american history 105 years worth.

Your joking right ! If I want history, I'll go to a museum. OH wait! that's where harley is now. LMMFAO

Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In the 50's and 60's and even into the 70's the big 3 ruled for car sales. The younger crowd liked the mid sized muscle cars and the older folks bought a caddy or lincoln or whatever.

The metrics took that away and now it's Asian cars for the youngers, and Lexus or BMW for the yuppies. The big 3 are actually in danger of going out of business for a lack of keeping up with the metric cars.

I'm really worried that moco is asleep and letting that happen to them. What happens 15 years from now when some of us stop riding and our kids are choosing what to buy?

I've already stopped buying new Harleys. I have plenty to last a lifetime and if not, I'll pick up another low mileage used bike.

$.02

Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Risw on

I alway said..... Its not what you ride.....Its that you ride.......I love my HD everytime I start her up.....It feels right and I dont need any other scooter, but an Harley Davidson....forever a HOG.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
that's what the "blind following the Blind" can't see and refuse to see the facts. They all jump up and scream HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT HARLEY. It's funny. IT'S A BIKE MADE OF METEL DUDE. ! I don't think any of them can see that all this bad a s s image is hype. Marketing. The facts are still the same. America sold out long ago and that's whats wrong with our country now.

Like it or not, most any metric will blow the doors off a harley and YES the VTX's will eat a harley. If you don't think so, run up on one acting bad and see who gets left.

Now, to prove my point as I was saying in previous post, I ride with a group of guys that have both metrics and Harleys. Im here to tell you right now- Kawasaki 2000 , Honda VTX , goldwing , Yamaha , Suzuki , victory, all will walk on the harley in torue and power. that's shameful. No one is following Harley anymore or want to look like Harley. In fact, I can't tell you the last time I had a metric rider come up to my Harley and want to look. those days are over. I think these people should wake up.

And I think your right. I don't know any young men wanting harleys. the first thing out of their mouth is , "those bikes are slow " grandpa bikes" . And they don't care much for Buell. So your right, the blind harley owner tipe is fading and will soon be gone.

And to think all this came from saying all i would like is for Harley to step up to the plate and make an engine that actually had power. OH and harley didn't make the v rod engine. Harley outsourced it. Pretty much like anything else they do anymore.
Me thinks you said just a li'l more than that, thus the responses you're getting.
FYI - metal is spellt, m-e-t-a-l, NOT metel. Just thought you'd want to be 'moar' ak-you-rut, bein's ya want ' PERFECTION'. Geesh, I wisht those dippy 'Americans' cood lern too spell.

And I learned this when I was a lad, "RUN WHATCHA BRUNG", cuz itz ALL ya got.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programmin'.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 AM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
It's been years sense I rode beside a metric cruiser . I bought my Harley about two years ago. I didn't shop the metric market. Didn't care. I wanted a Harley Davidson. I thought , surly with that sound and look, these bikes will run. Well I joined a riding group in our city which is predominately metric. I thought , well iv got the harley with it's mod's. Im one bad biker. It blew me away when I looked around and most the metric cruisers have more ci than harley and a LOT more torque. Water cooled. Smooth and look good. Well im here to tell you those metrics will walk on a harley. Pissed me off to no end. I love my bike but this is BS. Harley is one of the most well known motorcycles around the world and now , the slowest cruiser in the cruiser line. So where was Harley Davidson while the cruiser market pass the hell out of them ?????
Has anyone else noticed this ?
then go buy a metric i heard yamaha is opening a museum in japan.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley sells more heavy bikes (750cc and up) than all the metrics combined in the U.S. It's the best selling cruiser in Japan and the most coveted. They've been very successful with their current marketing and product line. I've owned many metrics before buying my 1st Harley. They're exclellent bikes for the buck but I'd never go back.

Last edited by barjbar; 01-02-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
FYI - metal is spellt, m-e-t-a-l, NOT metel. Just thought you'd want to be 'moar' ak-you-rut, bein's ya want ' PERFECTION'. Geesh, I wisht those dippy 'Americans' cood lern too spell.
And I wish those dippy 'Americans" could learn to build an engine.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by JBaker421
In the 50's and 60's and even into the 70's the big 3 ruled for car sales. The younger crowd liked the mid sized muscle cars and the older folks bought a caddy or lincoln or whatever.

The metrics took that away and now it's Asian cars for the youngers, and Lexus or BMW for the yuppies. The big 3 are actually in danger of going out of business for a lack of keeping up with the metric cars.

I'm really worried that moco is asleep and letting that happen to them. What happens 15 years from now when some of us stop riding and our kids are choosing what to buy?

I've already stopped buying new Harleys. I have plenty to last a lifetime and if not, I'll pick up another low mileage used bike.

$.02
That's exactly what im saying, and have tried to say this complete thread. Amazing how it get's the coolaid bunch so worked up. Im still talking about harley. Harley has rode on tha fact that people like these will follow them down to the bottom and haven't done anything to bring harley to a competitive edge, and i don't believe harley's sales were more than the metric market. I haven't ran up on one young person that was interested in the Harley. the metric market has them.

Quick Reply: I was "shocked" !