General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POS flush mount fuel cap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POS flush mount fuel cap.

I went to take the gas cap off to add some gas today and the fuel cap has come apart again!!! There is a small O ring that seals the inside of the cap. This O ring swells and will not go back together without a fight or replacement. Since the not so helpful dealer doesn't have this O ring I went to a local industrial supplier and bought one a few months ago but it too will swell and need replacing. Mine is the HD brand flush mount gauge and cap.

I took the fuel cap to the dealer this afternoon and he was no help. The forst thing he did was look at his records to see when I bought it. Since I didn't buy it from him he doesn't offer any help to warrenty the part. I did manage to get the cap back together but I know it won't last long.

Has anyone experienced this problem? And what did you do to fix it for good? The dealer was more than willing to sell me a new gas cap for $60.00 but at this point I'm not sure I want to spend any more money on this type of design it it will only last 6 months.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
IndyRider
Road Captain

Which one do you have? Is it part number 62823-06 which is the flush mount guage and cap?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gas Cap

I have the flush mount cap and gauge. Mine came apart at a gas station about 6 weeks ago. I got it back together enough to continue my ride but at the next stop I messed with it again and got it completely together. It hasn't come apart again. It is just aggravating to get it together.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Romark
Road Master

I pretty sure I have part number 62910-06. I wish there was a fix for this. If it came apart once, it will come apart again.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Thanks for the input. I have been seriously looking at these. If they are a POS I'll stick to what I got.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine fell apart at a gas station about six months ago and came apart again when I got home and was fiddling with it. The o-ring was too big to easily get back in place so I put it in the fridge hoping to get it to get back down to size. While the o-ring was still in the fridge, I reassembled the parts and when I tried to take them apart again, I couldn't. I have been using the cap without the o-ring with no problems since then.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior

I had purchased one of these kits a couple years ago for my RK Classic I used to have. Worked great and looked awesome. I had a lot of compliments on it. Never had any issue with the cap coming apart. I was planning on adding another kit to my current bike but after reading some of these new problems with them coming apart I think I will stick with what came with the bike. Maybe Harley had a bad batch made.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by Romark
I took the fuel cap to the dealer this afternoon and he was no help. The forst thing he did was look at his records to see when I bought it. Since I didn't buy it from him he doesn't offer any help to warrenty the part.
Isn't it sad that these guy can't (won't) even offer assistance? The whole dealer experience is what really turns me off to Harley Davidson. I love the bike but will continue to call them the "stealer". Not only because their parts and accessories are so over priced, but also because they are just no help after the fact.

I kinda think one day they will be in the same situation that Ford, Chevy and Chrysler are in right now.

Sorry to go off subject but thanks for the heads up. I was also looking at these, but will now consider an after market set.......someday.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 PM
longshot338
Tourer

Go back to your industrial supply house and get another o-ring but make sure it is made from a "viton" material. The "viton" will not swell when exposed to gasoline products. Not necessarily always the case, but "viton" o-rings are usually brown in color.
Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets see now...Wife had me put that set on her deluoxe 2 years ago. Since that time, we have...Replaced the cap twice(warrenty) and I have reassembled the cap 4-6 times from it coming apart at fuel stops.

I am working towards getting the one from Kury. I have not heard of any problems with that one.

Quick Reply: POS flush mount fuel cap.