General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POS flush mount fuel cap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longshot338
Go back to your industrial supply house and get another o-ring but make sure it is made from a "viton" material. The "viton" will not swell when exposed to gasoline products. Not necessarily always the case, but "viton" o-rings are usually brown in color.
Good Luck!
This is what I plan to do. I think I have decided to not buy a $60 replacement cap. My feeling on that is I would be spending good money after bad so I will either get a different brand or go back to factory issue.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Romark
Road Master

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Mine fell apart at a gas station about six months ago and came apart again when I got home and was fiddling with it. The o-ring was too big to easily get back in place so I put it in the fridge hoping to get it to get back down to size. While the o-ring was still in the fridge, I reassembled the parts and when I tried to take them apart again, I couldn't. I have been using the cap without the o-ring with no problems since then.
Looking at my cap yesterday I figured that that inner O ring is to seal the insides of the gas cap from gas sloshing out but if you havn't had any issues without that O ring in place I will not replace it when mine comes apart again. I almost left it out yeaterday but managed to get the cap back together with the O ring.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM
niczumbo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same one on mine and have NEVER had any problems,so i wonder -am i just lucky or is there some bad sets out there? had mine on since winter 08

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Romark, I did not intentionally leave the O-ring off. I stupidly did it. But it works fine and also has not come apart again. I also thought gas would come out the top or at least I would have gas fumes from it but I check it in the garage and cannot smell any gas fumes. My mpg also is the same.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Romark
Road Master

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Romark, I did not intentionally leave the O-ring off. I stupidly did it. But it works fine and also has not come apart again. I also thought gas would come out the top or at least I would have gas fumes from it but I check it in the garage and cannot smell any gas fumes. My mpg also is the same.
Thats good news to me. Mine is also in my garage so I will just keep an eye on it since my gas water heater is in there also. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Romark
I went to take the gas cap off to add some gas today and the fuel cap has come apart again!!! There is a small O ring that seals the inside of the cap. This O ring swells and will not go back together without a fight or replacement. Since the not so helpful dealer doesn't have this O ring I went to a local industrial supplier and bought one a few months ago but it too will swell and need replacing. Mine is the HD brand flush mount gauge and cap.

I took the fuel cap to the dealer this afternoon and he was no help. The forst thing he did was look at his records to see when I bought it. Since I didn't buy it from him he doesn't offer any help to warrenty the part. I did manage to get the cap back together but I know it won't last long.

Has anyone experienced this problem? And what did you do to fix it for good? The dealer was more than willing to sell me a new gas cap for $60.00 but at this point I'm not sure I want to spend any more money on this type of design it it will only last 6 months.

Thanks for any input.

Mark
Sorry to hear about your difficulty. That's why I don't buy any of that bling crap.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 AM
jefnightrain
Tourer

I was thinking of buying the cap & gauge when I paint my tank this winter. If you guys are having tons of problems with them, I think I will rethink. To tell the truth, It didn't cross my mind that they would be a pos, since they cost about $200. At that price they should either be made well or not be sold.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Romark
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
Sorry to hear about your difficulty. That's why I don't buy any of that bling crap.
You will.