General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos in Wa?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by puyallup
Hello fellow Washingtonians. It rains here alright. If you ride more than an hour from home, no matter what time of year, chances are you'll get wet before you can make it back home. Always carry rain gear. But, I've got to tell ya, I've lived in the NW all my life, born in Portland, OR, "reared" in Puyallup, WA and you aint seen RAIN until you've riden in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I retired and the wife (also rides a Harley) and I moved to greener riding pastures or so we thought. When it rains in South Carolina you have to worry about tornados and lightning strikes. They have deep ditches along all the major hiways just to carry off the rain water overflow. OMG when it rains it just dumps. I'll not compain about our weather ever again, it could be worse. And the bugs, OMG again, they have a bug there they call a "B52", don't know what it is, but it'll take ya off your bike. We only lasted 6 months in SC. It rains so hard there that the houses don't have rain gutters. Useless. They would fill up in seconds. And I haven't even gotten to the Aligators commonly refered to as "road bumps" or the Cotton Mouths or the black widow spiders, I could go on and on. I love Washington State......wouldn't live anywhere else.
Gary ..... firmly planted in Puyallup.
Yup, you got it right! No better place in the U. S. of A. IMHO! You have every climate available to you in just a matter of a couple hours. Never gets too extreme one way or the other. And the rain, well, it's not like the 4" to 6" of rain in an hour like they get back east. Maybe an inch or two in 24 hours on a bad day. (Well, sometimes we get 5" or 6" in 24 hours) Mountains, desert, ocean, rain forest, we got it all. Just never leave home without your rain gear.

Last edited by tima; 12-31-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
kabluie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Coos Bay Oregon the highs are a balmy 50 degrees. The lows are in the mid thirties, so temp wise it's not real bad riding weather. The rains have left the roads a little slick, especially the parts that don't see sunshine. I took a lap around the bay two days ago and had both wheels sliding at the same time. It slowed me down a little. I'm waiting for spring. I like summers.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

I live in the Spanaway area of Tacoma and I hate the rain. I switched from rifle to bow hunting because the weather sucks so badly in the late fall. We still have a few piles of snow in the neighborhood but it's mostly gone. I'll be very happy when the weather lightens up. I try not to ride in the rain because it takes so long to clean up the bike. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. LOL.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 PM
workbill
Stage IV
Smile

Hey Gang! I'm in Kent, and it's great to see so many Washington folks on here!

We should meet up for a ride out Green Valley Road to the Yella Beak this summer, once the live music resumes out on the back patio!

I'd better go figure out how to put a picture in my signature line and all that...

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM
dcmassena
Tourer

Why let the rain bother you? I commute from Shoreline to Bellevue and I ride the scoot almost everyday. Only the hardest rain will deter me. Hell, if I let a little drizzle keep me off the bike, then I wouldn't get any miles on in the winter.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

So are the people out here in aberdeen a little touchy or what?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Candy Red
Tourer

Heeler and Mes, I live just down the road form both of ya.

Next to exit 88. I still aint found the grand mound

If your on 5 north around 1-2pm every week day, you will see me and my shiney red machine out running the cagers.

These last two weeks is the longest Ive been caged in a few years.

Parts are due in on friday, and off I go again.

and double doupler sez more snow

Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Everett, (wet) Washington here! Right smack dab in the middle of the convergence zone! For those that don't know what that means, it rains here "When" it's sunshining elsewhere on the "wet side"...(Westside of the state)

Clay Palm Desert, CA bound in 5 more long-wet years!!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain

I'm in Vancouver, WA. Pretty much ride year round here. Ya just get a little wet is all.