Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laughlin 2009 - Anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laughlin 2009 - Anyone going?

Anyone going to the river run in 2009? I went this year (2008) and went thru Dal Con to get my room package and was charged an unbelieveable rate. Anyone got any idea's on how to save money? I noticed Dal-Con dosn't have as many hotels on their website as last year, but when I try and book expedia on any of the hotels that Dal-Con is not advertising, they are book solid. What gives?

Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM
frankjake
Road Master

It's almost impossible to get a decent rate for hotel rooms at that time. Dal Con buys up every room they possibably can for the event. The hotels don't even offer reservations, they say to go thru the website to make them, which is basically contacting Dal Con.

I went to Laughlin for the first time about 9 years ago and have tried every year to get a room at a discounted rate. I haver NEVER been successful. My buddy is even a vendor for a couple of the hotel there and has "connections" but they can't even give him a discount. I guess the event is so popular they don't have to offer any type of discount.

I just save up and figure I'll spend $200 a day for the room. If you don't mind having very little privacy, have a buddy share a room with you. You can get two beds and it's still $200 a night. Pull in a roll away and add a 3rd person, we did that once and the roll away was an additional $10 a night.

My and a buddy were plannin on Laughlin this year (2009), we even had the bikes in vegas for the winter, waiting until April. But I ended up buying a new bike and HAVE to take it back to Oregon (where I live) to have it registered, so probably won't make the trip back. Oregon DMV says they MUST see the bike before they will register it. The dealer here in Vegas even gave me extra paperwork (proof of VIN ID) but Oregon says that's not good enough. What a pain in the rear.

But Laughin is a lot of fun. You might also consider "Street Vibrations" in Reno. It's in August and very similar to the River Run. Since I won't be going to the River Run in April, I will go to Street Vibrations in August. It's only 400 miles from home in Oregon.

Have fun and try not to worry about the money. It's all about having fun.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning on going. Will be the first time so don't have a clue as to hotel rates/reservations. My kid lives in Oregon and is trying to get a few of his buddies to make the trip. If they do they will probably ride to Vegas first for a night and then on to Laughlin. I would like to meet up with them in Vegas and ride down. So far no one I know around here is interested.

At what point is it impossible to get a room?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am thinking about it. It's between work on the bike that needs to be done or Laughlin. Don't know if I can swing both this year...

Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
pappashelby
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

We have rooms in Lake Havasue, Super8, something like $250 for 3 nights.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about camping and motor homes? How hard is it to book space at those?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I'm staying in Vegas, and taking the hour long ride in and back. since I'm not planning on partying up too hard in Laughlin, this works for me. I booked a room at the Riviera for 60 bucks a night.

BTW, Frankjake - don't go to Street Vibrations in August, because it's in late September. See you then.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
pappashelby
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Theres a state park right on the river. Was $75 for the whole event a few years ago. On the Az side. Can walk to the events. First come, no reservations then ?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you guys tried Kingman, AZ? I think it is a 45 minute ride? Small town but a few hotels and not a bad ride as long as a guy is sober enough for the evening cruise home.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I've been there a couple of times
But I'm a Drinker so.........gota stay near the Events..$$$$
O-Well
I don't know if were goin this year
It's about an 8 hr ride with Beer Stops

Quick Reply: Laughlin 2009 - Anyone going?