General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI - Police training on biker gangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
KRATC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FYI - Police training on biker gangs

ORIGINAL: LT753

You've lost your mind. All they are doing is making sure to keep themselves safe and "respectful" in case a situation occurs. Maybe you should talk about something you know instead of silly junk like this. GOOD GRIEF. Get real

Lynn (21 yr LEO)
Right on BRO. He must be a pencil pushing you know what. I'm not a LEO but my brother (25 yrs retired), & two cousin (20yrs each)

Old 04-12-2006, 09:03 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like plain old common sense and good advice to me for anyone involved in that type of stop. Sorry, no descrimination as far as I can see...

Old 04-12-2006, 09:04 PM
wsg
Intermediate

I understand proceedure for saftey reasons...I am in a similiar boat a lifetime freind of mine is having a party this week end
1 double check all paperwork
2 have ID ready
3 bring camera to record events
4 tell my wife to do the same
pretty sad just to go for a ride with a lifetime freind
don't need to do this for my cage!
people talk about profiling I have invited my kids to attend this same party as they know this freind to be like an uncle,
maybe the next generation can figure it out ours hasn't
I know that in Ontario our government has spent alot of money on a bikers task force just so they can find out who I am ...don't I feel special!

Old 04-12-2006, 09:10 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they are trying to prvent issuese from Blow up I respect the job of LEO's

Old 04-12-2006, 09:40 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

err what did i miss? sounds pretty straight to me. something to read in between the lines that i'm missing??

Old 04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
LT753
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wsg

I understand proceedure for saftey reasons...I am in a similiar boat a lifetime freind of mine is having a party this week end
1 double check all paperwork
2 have ID ready
3 bring camera to record events
4 tell my wife to do the same
pretty sad just to go for a ride with a lifetime freind
don't need to do this for my cage!
people talk about profiling I have invited my kids to attend this same party as they know this freind to be like an uncle,
maybe the next generation can figure it out ours hasn't
I know that in Ontario our government has spent alot of money on a bikers task force just so they can find out who I am ...don't I feel special!
I doubt that your that special.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: panamoncreel

err what did i miss? sounds pretty straight to me. something to read in between the lines that i'm missing??
It might be the last line,That Delaware posted.Made no sense to me

Old 04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
05Dynachic
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm no LEO. (I did try at one time.) I see nothing wrong with what was said. Its not discrimination, its LE making sure that one and all go home to their families, and YESSSS, that does include the bikers too! Simply trying to ensure a safe event for the riders and for the officers and people who are not involved in any of it!

JMHO ........ take it for what its worth! (And who said when it comes to "bikers" and MC, they are all bad or all looking for trouble. Usually IT finds them and they don't want it!)

Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Nobikeyet
Advanced

I just got out of the Army. I was an M.P. for 5+ years and when I wasn't in the field or deployed I was "working the road". Those guidelines listed there seem like normal SOP for dealing with groups like that. Nothing discriminatory there at all. Just common sense rules for that situation.

If you aren't in a 1%er gang and you are just riding with your buddies and you feel a little hassled by how cops treat you....just remember they are trying to do their jobs. They will treat you based on how you react to them. You are riding with a bunch of guys, probably wearing leather, looking like hardasses, and you out number the cops by a lot. So it is only makes sense for them to take every precaution when dealing with you. Remember, traffic stops are pretty much the most dangerous thing a cop does. You never know who you are about to be dealing with. If you didn't do anything wrong you will be sent on your way. If you didn't do anything wrong and you run off at the mouth or give them to much hell....you may just find yourself in the back seat.

If you are a 1%er in one of the big known gangs, you roll with a gang known for violent crime. Simple as that. I am sure there are plenty of you that have never commited a crime worse than speeding, but there are several that have been knee-deep in crime. The fact that you are a member means that more attention will be directed at you from LEO's. I mean seriously...it's a gang. You think 30 Bloods are going to be able to roll into a bike rally wearing colors and not be scrutinized by the cops?

Bottom line is this....from a military cop's POV....no matter who you are or how you look...if you don't do something to get my attention you'll have a good day. If you look the part of a biker-badass, a gang-banger, or anything else I deem suspicous I will take note of you. BUT..I won't give you hell unless you deserve it.

LEO's deal with B.S. on a daily basis. They work long hours for not much money (M.P.'s commonly work 14-16 hour days). No one likes us until they need us. Then people want to act like they don't deserve the attention we give them....when they affiliate themselves with criminals and gangs.

Hell I'm ranting...I just get tired of hearing "you only stopped me because I'm _______ " It's ridiculous. Lay with dogs and you'll get fleas. /rant

Old 04-12-2006, 10:58 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Delaware 1200 Custom

I copied and pasted this off of a a police forum... although it's in regards to the Hells Angels, I'm sure they'd operate the same, for ANY group of bikes riding together.
------------------------------------------------------------------

World Run 2006 is in Cody, Wyoming in July and August, then they should be on to Sturgis. We're expecting some of the Chapters from the Southwest and southern Cal to pass through town on the way to Cody, so we just had a class on conducting traffic stops. The recommendations we had were:

1) A two officer minimum.
2) Keep everyone on their bikes, kickstands up and hands on the center of the handlebars.
3) Avoid talking to probates and prospects when possible, try to deal with everyone through the Sergeant at Arms or the senior patched member.
4) Terry frisk anyone that you get off their bikes.
5) Be professional and display good command presence, don't be afraid to take charge of the stop but don't come across as "badge heavy;" basically a "respect all, fear none" approach.
6) Beware the "war wagon" or support truck/van that follows the bikes. The "ole ladies" can also cause trouble.

I've never encountered OMG's (outlaw motorcycle gangs). The word is that most of the older patches don't want trouble on the road but that probates and prospects might be looking to earn a reputation. Anyone disagree or have anything to add? Anyone ever had an OMG (outlaw motorcycle gang) traffic stop go bad on them?

[:@]if this isn't discrimination, I don't know what is

There is no way that you can be serious. I have been a LEO for the last 14 years and that has been pretty much SOP for as long as I can remember. And why in the world would you take something from a LEO forum and post it here unless you're just trolling?

Quick Reply: FYI - Police training on biker gangs