General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Canadian National HOG Rally

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Tab
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently live on the west coast in the Vancouver area but I did 3 years in Calgary. Calgary is pretty nice city, very hospitable.

Quite a bit to do and see around the Calgary area. If you don't come through the mountains of British Columbia then I do suggest that you plan a day ride west out of Calgary to at least Banff. Another location that you might want to explore is Drumheller Alberta (dinosaur museum). Red Deer was the location of the 2008 Alberta HOG Rally. Tons of wide open spaces and back roads for riding. Perhaps even a trip to Edmonton Alberta (about 2 hours north of Calgary).

If you like the twisties and like mountain riding then I would definately suggest that you plan one direction through British Columbia.

as a PS to this message.... they don't have a website up yet that I know of but you should be able to find info as it unfolds at the Calgary HOG site.... http://www.calgaryharley-davidson.co...nersGroup.html

Last edited by Tab; 02-02-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another beautifull day ride out of calgary is
calgary to radium BC, Radium to Golden BC, Golden to Caglary.
Very nice ride, lots of twisties and some straight highway all through the rockey mountains. See you all in August.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't forget your passports

Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Just when I thought I had finished plans to ride US Route 2 from MI to WA along comes what looks to be a great detour!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default bit of a ride

went out there in 1975 on a bike from niagara falls. got out of school on friday in middle of june. left on monday and came home 1 week before school started in sept. drove all the way to vancouver BC. no idea how I did all that driving. the ride suprisingly enough was on a 1973 400 cc suzuki ts400 enduro. trail universals. made a 5 tooth smaller sprocket for mileage and rpm advantage. I still have most of the credit card swipe tickets. most of the time my fill ups were .98 to 1.00 for the whole 2 gallon gas tank. Calgary was the best through for weird things happening. walk intoa macdonalds and heres a guy I went to school with at the counter. then walk around calghary stampeed and run into a guy who lives up the street. walk intoan elevator and run into a guy i work with. the best though was the 10 cop cars flying around a corner of a school building we were camping on. like aswap team they had us bad *** 19 year old dirt bikers surrounded. seems another bunch of bike guys ruined a gas station bathroom and we got blamed. we were told to leave town immediately , so we stayed for 2 weeks. riding in the bc mountains was really cool,also cold cool. goats right along some of the roads.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be there. I've heard good things about the Canadian Rallies. This will be my first. I've been up there a few times, but never to attend a rally. Looking forward to it. Glacier Nat'l Park is a must, Going to the Sun Hiway...Also if coming from the east, DO NOT miss Bear Tooth Pass, and Red Lodge, MT. It's a great little biker town. Beautiful riding all the way to Calgary... See you there.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
HarleysMom
Stage II

It will be great to see you all up here.
The 7th Alberta Provincial H.O.G. Rally will be in Edmonton, August 19-21, 2010. No provincial rally this year due to National Rally in Calgary.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see post below

Last edited by GasCan; 02-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
Creston to Revelstoke and on to Lake Louise, then Banff...Big thumbs up.
Also Lake Louise to Jasper, or Rocky Mtn. House.

Ask Glideman. This is his riding country.

CN
Yes this is in my riding area, but should let you know I changed my user name from Glideman to GasCan a while ago.

As many have mentioned in this post, there are some great rides out of Calgary and most within a few short minutes of the city's fringe. I've included a couple video links to show you some of the scenery you'll encounter along Highway #40 and Highway #93 and trust this will have you realing in it.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....7536257&saved=

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....=1049265724462

Highway #40 runs through Kananaskis Country near Banff National Park and runs up over the Highwood Pass which climbs to 7200'. It's a great ride that loops back to Calgary via Longview or Bragg Creek and takes about 4 hours or so round trip.

Highway 93 runs north from the Trans Canada Hwy West of Calgary and will take you North along the Columbia Icefields up through the Saskatchewan River Crossing. North from there will take you up through Athabasca Falls and the Sunwapta Chutes before ending up in Jasper. These are awesome rides with awe inspiring views of the Canadian Rockies and will leave you longing for more.

There are shorter rides just outside the city and I am sure many of them will be tied in with the HOG rally functions. Calgary puts on a pretty good show and is a very hospitable city of 1 million or so. Weather that time of year is usually in the 70-80's but riding in the Rockies will usually require some rain gear just in case you hit a pocket coming over the slopes.

The HOG stuff isn't really my deal but I do think the National Event will likely draw a big crowd being that it's in the West this year. Look forward to an awesome time riding around here and know that there's some awesome rides coming up from the states as well. Lot's of good Hotels and Motels along MacLeod Trail that will keep you close to nightly fun and great restarauants. Send me a message when you get to town. I'll go for a ride and toss a few beers back with you.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Calgary&state=AB

Graeme

Last edited by GasCan; 02-12-2009 at 03:19 PM.