General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My son took his first ride today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM
2003Sport
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My son took his first ride today.

My son is 3 years old and is absolutely fascinated by motorcycles. The weather today was finally decent so I went out for a short ride, when I got back home the old lady decided she was starving so back out I go (I volunteer to run errands ). When I got back home my 3 year old came running up to me with his arms out wanting on the bike. The old lady took the groceries and we headed out. We pretty much stayed in the residential area but the crap eating grin on his face made my day, in fact I think it was better than Christmas.

I know it's years away, but I was considering getting rid of the Sporty, but know I think I will keep it running for him, I think he's gonna be a biker. Hopefully I didn't break a man law today by having 4 nuts on a bike. Weather is supposed to be decent tomorrow also, maybe he needs to take his second ride and hopefully I can get some pictures.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My two boys are 8 y/o now. Last year they got out a little bit and really enjoyed it. Next spring we are going to do some moto camping. My kids are really looking forward to the bike. Just take it in short steps. Everytime my kids have been on the bike I have quit with them still wanting more(ie never tired). That seems to keep enthusiasm.....at least for them.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

That's pretty cool ain't it? I took my 6 year old nephew for a ride up and down the street in october, thought he was the s%$t!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That's awesome, i bet he remembers this day for the rest of his life - his very first ride with Dad...

Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 PM
2003Sport
Cruiser

I think when he gets older, and if he's still interested, I'll take the safety course with him. I've taken the course, but maybe he will be more confident and comfortable with me there, but that is years away. Doesn't hurt to dream right? As I said I was considering getting rid of the Sporty in maybe a year, I've been think of a Street Bob, but what's wrong with 2 bikes (the woman may disagree)? My son is actually pretty big for his age so he had no problem sitting in front of me. I was a little worried about him slipping off, but my arms held him up nicely.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter likes to sit on my bike when I ride into the garage. Wife would kill me if I tried to take her down the street.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

Yikes! I think the law in Washington states you have to be at least 5 to be on a bike. Don't mean to rain on your great day, just something to think about....

Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

I used to take my 20 year old when he was 10 or so everywhere with me but as he got older it was not cool to ride with dad anymore, now my 9 year old daughter is so ready I have taken her around the neighborhood she is already telling me that she is ready to hit the road and wants a pink helmet...

Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In California your passenger needs to be able to reach BOTH foot pegs to be legal. My son loves watching me pop wheelies on my dirt bikes and I have given him rides back into the garage for many years. My riding buddy just bought him a mini-bike for his seventh birthday so he's going to start riding this spring. Now I have five bikes in the garage.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 PM
08Fatty
Tourer

My 9 year old loves riding and has gone on a few all day rides. She has here own chaps and doesn't mind cold weather riding. My 6 year old hasn't gone as far, but she love sit too. I put a set of pegs on the fender strut just under my seat so they would have pegs. If I could talk my wife into riding, we could take family trips, but she has no interest. She will sit behind me all day though. You just have to judge how the little ones will do and how long they can ride before they start falling asleep.

Quick Reply: My son took his first ride today.