General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing levers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:56 AM
mike90
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing levers

Hi All!
So I got new levers for Christmas for my Softail Deuce. Thinking of changing them out myself. Has anyone ever done it on their own? Is it hard? Should I bring it to the dealer? Is it true you need a special tool to do it?
Any tips/tricks/or pictures of the install would help. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Old 12-28-2008, 01:28 AM
slick37
Cruiser

ring plyers if thats a special tool..brake side real easy..just becareful with the plunger...there a pin you have to take out with a "c" ring on bottom (thats what the ring plyers are for) remove the ring then the pin.. replace with new... clutch side little more work have to loosen the clutch cable adjustment not that hard save your money take your time and follow directions that came with them...

Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slick37
ring plyers if thats a special tool..brake side real easy..just becareful with the plunger...there a pin you have to take out with a "c" ring on bottom (thats what the ring plyers are for) remove the ring then the pin.. replace with new... clutch side little more work have to loosen the clutch cable adjustment not that hard save your money take your time and follow directions that came with them...

I'll 2nd that

Old 12-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That jobs a piece of cake! Ring pliers make it easy but a pair of needle nose pliers and/or a small flathead screwdriver will work. Just make sure the "C" ring doesn't go flying on ya.

Start with the break side first then change the clutch lever.

Follow the directions and if you run into trouble post up your problem and someone will help ya out.

I changed out my handlebars with the help of my manual and the members on this forum.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Did mine, but need those snap ring pliers.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
Did mine, but need those snap ring pliers.
And have a couple of extra snap rings handy. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Sears has some good Craftsman snap ring plier sets.Get the one (internal/external)with removable tips and a tip assortment.
And as BadBob said,good idea to have a couple new spare snap rings on hand.Sometimes these little parts go flying or they get sprung.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 AM
slick37
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Sears has some good Craftsman snap ring plier sets.Get the one (internal/external)with removable tips and a tip assortment.
And as BadBob said,good idea to have a couple new spare snap rings on hand.Sometimes these little parts go flying or they get sprung.
thats the same one I have around 20 bucks...but sure I'll use them again.. nice to have easier and less scratches than using needlenose and a small screw driver

Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 AM
BIK88CHK
Banned

I did both sides on my bike. Absolutely get more of the snap rings. Start with the brake side. Just an easier side to do. The clutch side - you must maintain the amount of pressure - or else you could end up tightening the clutch and burning it out because the lever tension was adjusted.

They say you need special tools - I didn't - but you will end up using your chin - teeth - (*****) I am a girl so they came in handy or a really good friend.

Maintaining that clutch tension is just very important. Those snap rings - just buy 3-4-6 more because in the process of changing it out - you will have them fly into an unknown realm. You will find them some time later when cleaning your garage - but that will be months if not years from now. I have yet to find mine.

Good Luck !!!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BIK88CHK
I did both sides on my bike. Absolutely get more of the snap rings. Start with the brake side. Just an easier side to do. The clutch side - you must maintain the amount of pressure - or else you could end up tightening the clutch and burning it out because the lever tension was adjusted.

They say you need special tools - I didn't - but you will end up using your chin - teeth - (*****) I am a girl so they came in handy or a really good friend.

Maintaining that clutch tension is just very important. Those snap rings - just buy 3-4-6 more because in the process of changing it out - you will have them fly into an unknown realm. You will find them some time later when cleaning your garage - but that will be months if not years from now. I have yet to find mine.

Good Luck !!!!!!

Ok, now I am trying to get a visual on how the ***** helped with this task. They would just be a nice distraction for me!!!

Quick Reply: changing levers