General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Road King

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heritage vs. Road King

I am looking to trade my Sporty in on either a Heritage Classic or Road King. Just wanted to get some thoughts from everyone as to the Pro's and Con's of both bikes.

Most of my riding is less than 100 hundred miles, but am looking to start making some longer trips. I will be riding with the wife on some of the trips. Price seems to be about the same for either bike. I sit flat footed on the Heritage, but on the King I am on my tips. I do feel more stable on the Heritage. I am going to try and ride both bikes over the next week or so. Would like to know everyone thoughts? Thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 12:32 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where I live you can rent either model for a day or a weekend. If you are planning on spending the bucks to buy one, I suggest you try each one for a day with your wife on the back and see what's the best for the both of you. It may seem expensive, but it will be a lot less expensive than trading in the new bike at a loss after finding out it wasn't what you really wanted.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode several of each prior to choosing the Road King. I cannot tell you why I chose it over the Heritage, other than when I rode the Road King Classic it just felt right. The prior message is good advice, rent both and try them out prior to buying.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 PM
fmudge
Cruiser

The best suggestion is to go rent both and decide what works best for you. I started with a Fat Boy and eventually traded it in for my Road King. Both are excellent rides and I could easily recommend either. My preference is for the Road King, it is more comfortable and much better for longer rides. My wife also enjoys the Road King better as well. Just a note don't worry too much about being on your tip toes, the fuel tank on the touring models is bigger and subsequently wider to straddle. You can easily lower the bike to fit you properly. I have the same problem on the standard Road King with mine being lowered by 3/4 of an inch and I can stand just fine.
Good luck and enjoy...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 PM
conroskie
Road Master

You'll have to try them both and compare, but I prefer rideing IN my Heritage vs. rideing ON any of the touring models. I had the opportunity to ride a brand new 08 Ultra for part of a day and granted I was starting to get used to it after a while but I still couldn't wait to get back IN my Heritage. I have the detachable tour pack and passenger boards so momma can ride all day with me.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:23 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,194 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by conroskie
You'll have to try them both and compare, but I prefer rideing IN my Heritage vs. rideing ON any of the touring models. I had the opportunity to ride a brand new 08 Ultra for part of a day and granted I was starting to get used to it after a while but I still couldn't wait to get back IN my Heritage. I have the detachable tour pack and passenger boards so momma can ride all day with me.

This is why I bought my Heritage over a Road King. I do, however, agree with the above posts as to try to ride both bikes before you buy.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:39 PM
06Heritage
Tourer

I have a 2006 heritage. if i were to do it over again , i would have went with a touring bike. but when i got it i didnt think the wife would like riding as much as she does.
you can get alot more comfortable seat for a touring bike than you can a softail

Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I'd go for the Road King. Passengers sit high on the Heritage, placing them in the wind blast over the top of the shield. Also, the saddle bag lids on the Heritage sag the moment you leave the showroom. The aftermarket offers a reinforcement kit. (Harley really should fix this problem.)

Old 12-27-2008, 02:47 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I personally would opt for the Road King.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:59 PM
conroskie
Road Master

My wife prefers rideing passenger on the Heritage over the Ultra, don't know about the Road King... she can sit closer to me and snuggle more. True, she does sit higher though. This could be an issue for some and the 09's have a redesigned bag, I don't know if they were improved or not. True the saggy bags system is a must for the Heritage.

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Road King