General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law Enforcement M/C Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by frankjake
I know this is going to sound really negative and I don't mean it that way at all.

So many LE officers wonder why non law enforcement people have such a bad opinion of them. I know 7 people in the law enforcement business. I say I "know" them because I'm not really good friends with them. They never seem to really open up to "normal people". There is always that distance between them and regular people. They seem much more confortable being with other LE people than with regular people.

Our local motorcycle group has at least 1 LEO and everyone really likes this person but this person is NOT really one of the group, so to speak. This person keeps more to themself, doesn't really share a lot of info or talk about much of anything. This person is just very "distant" to everyone.

I kind of wonder why the original poster doesn't want to find out about a club in general, instead of a club for only LE officers?

Again, I don't want this to sound negative but it almost proves the point of my reply. I don't go looking for clubs that only allow Contractors. I don't look for clubs that only have tall members, or people of a certain color or ethnic background. I'll ride with just about anyone who wants to ride. One riding club I belong to has all different kinds of members. Like I said, I know thereis at least 1 law enforcement person, a few constructions workers, a few business owners, executives, truckers, nurse, a few are retired, some unemployed and a few same sex couples. Everyone in the club gets along with everyone else. No one has ever even thought about a club geared more toward their own interestes. Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't trust anyone but my partner....and I'm not too sure about him

Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
I know this is going to sound really negative and I don't mean it that way at all.

So many LE officers wonder why non law enforcement people have such a bad opinion of them. I know 7 people in the law enforcement business. I say I "know" them because I'm not really good friends with them. They never seem to really open up to "normal people". There is always that distance between them and regular people. They seem much more confortable being with other LE people than with regular people.

Our local motorcycle group has at least 1 LEO and everyone really likes this person but this person is NOT really one of the group, so to speak. This person keeps more to themself, doesn't really share a lot of info or talk about much of anything. This person is just very "distant" to everyone.

I kind of wonder why the original poster doesn't want to find out about a club in general, instead of a club for only LE officers?

Again, I don't want this to sound negative but it almost proves the point of my reply. I don't go looking for clubs that only allow Contractors. I don't look for clubs that only have tall members, or people of a certain color or ethnic background. I'll ride with just about anyone who wants to ride. One riding club I belong to has all different kinds of members. Like I said, I know thereis at least 1 law enforcement person, a few constructions workers, a few business owners, executives, truckers, nurse, a few are retired, some unemployed and a few same sex couples. Everyone in the club gets along with everyone else. No one has ever even thought about a club geared more toward their own interestes. Maybe I'm missing something.
Hey Frank I appreciate your post and dont consider it negative. Your right about cops tendency to hang with their own and avoid contact with "civilians". As the others have said we're somewhat paranoid and distrusting of the general public. I try to mingle with the public at my moonlight jobs and with other motorcyclists I meet along the way. It helps to remind me that not everyone is a criminal and affords me the opportunity to let people see me as a human. I do ride with a couple police clubs (haven't joined yet) but I ride with civilians whenever I can.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Kind of sad that a chosen profession can cause such issues. What sort of life is that to not be able to trust the general public. How much distress does that put on family life?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 AM
jblksmith1
Cruiser

That's a good question SC. Stress is a major factor in law enforcement. That's why I ride my bike.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain

I flew by a couple of those Roughneck dudes a couple months back! Was wondering what oil derrick they worked on in the Sierra! My son started dating a girl who'se daddy was a Roughneck. That's when I found out they were cops. Guess he was a real poser! Didn't have nothing in common with my son. There's NUTHIN" worse than a bunch of cops acting like outlaws! Stay on the bikes with the blue lights so we know who you are!

Last edited by scootertramp; 12-30-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

I'm not a moderator, or really that active a member...but we're all adults and all I ask is that we stay on point, and try to keep to the topic....The guy asked a question, the question was answered and now we seem to have the peanut gallery piping in with opinions, experiences and personal comments....this is how $hit gets out of hand here.

Can we do this you think? I'm not being sarcastic or trying to light anybody up. I'm asking seriously.

Just my .02

Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDEIRISH
I'm not a moderator, or really that active a member...Yet, you felt the need to critize.

but we're all adults and all I ask is that we stay on point, and try to keep to the topic..um, Roughnecks M/C..Cops How much more to the point does it have to be on a thread titled "Law Enforcement M/C

..The guy asked a question, the question was answered and now we seem to have the peanut gallery peanut gallery?

piping in with opinions, experiences and personal comments....Aw chit, I thought this was a forum.

this is how $hit gets out of hand here. Did he hit a nerve? A little too close to home, maybe?

Can we do this you think? Absolutlely. You start.

I'm not being sarcastic or trying to light anybody up. I'm asking seriously.
So am I....

Just my .02
Ditto

Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

Over the years I have found the Blue Knights to be a great club for both active and retired officers.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
so165
Tourer

What is your problem? Were they doing something illegal for you to think they were outlaws? Why do you associate a LEO mc with an outlaw bike gang? I am a Roughneck and I uphold the law, we are a 99% club, not a 1%, you can look at I would guess 80 % of the folks out there that ride and they all look pretty similar except for the patches they wear, why is it a big deal if a bunch of cops or as in my clubs case public servants, wear a patch that links them as one group as well as bikers?

Originally Posted by scootertramp
I flew by a couple of those Roughneck dudes a couple months back! Was wondering what oil derrick they worked on in the Sierra! My son started dating a girl who'se daddy was a Roughneck. That's when I found out they were cops. Guess he was a real poser! Didn't have nothing in common with my son. There's NUTHIN" worse than a bunch of cops acting like outlaws! Stay on the bikes with the blue lights so we know who you are!

Last edited by so165; 12-30-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 PM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

Hey Ron, saw you were on when I posted here..figured it wouldn't take you long to share your feelings...lol You just couldn't help yourself I suppose.

I give up right now, you win! But before I graciously surrender, I'll help you with your reading comprehension......

1. My opening line is pretty cut & dry, who got criticized?
2. The original poster asked a question about LEMC's in Texas, not what do you think of LEMC's, or cops wearing patches, or have you ever seen any cops in clubs, or anything but which are out there in Texas....pretty crystal clear. It wasn't directed at the previous poster to my post per se, but to ANYONE who got off topic...so once again, you missed the bull's eye...
3. Peanut gallery...yeah that's what I said...what's the matter, thin skin? It is called poetic license...I'll help you out even more, so as not to confuse you, I was including myself in that gallery....Feel better?
4. Bingo, it's a forum. Good observation. And the topic of discussion was...??? Come on now, I know you know it(hint, scroll up top, in bold black letters)...The posts asking for opinions, experiences and personal comments are elsewhere in the forum...use the search function, or better yet, start your own...There's an idea.
5. YOU could never hit my nerves...
6. I'll end it here..if you need to discuss this further, please utilize the PM feature....

It's been fun. To the original poster....I apologize for the digression.

Quick Reply: Law Enforcement M/C Clubs