General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dew in my garage! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the bike and worry about your health.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
hardluk1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roadkingron1 Iain't look'n for anything ,i just don't get it. I see classic cars in the same kind of garages and they get damp and then dry a couple hours later. They are worth many times what a bike is worth . Even see bikes under a cover next to the apartment . If the addons are any good some moisture ain't gona make it rust . Will be dry as soon as the sun comes up. To many treat a bike like a queen . If thats the case then think about that before the out lay of cash. Maybe a 18000 dollar bike and a garage that has insulation and wall coverings in it to keep goodies inside at a more controled conditions. Know a guy that has keep his bike in a barn for the last 12 years ,bike is like new. It gets damp and then dry's.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
BillyFB
Cruiser

Good advice from buckskin.
You need to move the air.
Any heat source will help.
I'd leave it uncovered unless you you use the heat from underneath. Heat rod, light bulb, other source.
Your choice. Start with air movement. Then move to heat with air. See what works in your situation. Just keep the freakin' moisture off the bike.

I'd leave any type of cover off so I could asses the situation often. Out of sight out of mind isn't what you want.
That's my .02

Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hardluk1
Roadkingron1 Iain't look'n for anything ,i just don't get it. I see classic cars in the same kind of garages and they get damp and then dry a couple hours later. They are worth many times what a bike is worth . Even see bikes under a cover next to the apartment . .
hardluk, I was agreeing with you and Tramp.... Ya'll call 'em like you see 'em and I gotta respect that.

Oh and if you ever become as evil as Tramp, that's a compliment....

Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

OH , OK a compliment . I typicaly get slammed for common scents.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 AM
buckskin
Intermediate

Whatever you do, do not place a plastic drop sheet on top of your bike, it will only trap moisture below it.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:10 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

put it on an old rug, piece of carpet, or plywood..like buckskin says, moisture comes up from the concrete floor..and a cheap box fan..

Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM
tbrocco
Cruiser

I live in Vermont. A cover and a boat anti-mildew unit works great in my unheated garage. It puts out about as much heat as a 100 watt bulb and moves it around with a fan. Cheap as a light bulb to run. Keeping the air moving is important. Available in any boat store or online for about $50-$75. Good Luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Aw, Hell No Tramp...jus' haven't seen you around in a while. Don't be such a stranger, we need help in here...
Been pretty busy so I haven't had much time to come in, hang out with my cohorts and irritate a few....
Ride safe in 09 & beyond!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbrocco
I live in Vermont. A cover and a boat anti-mildew unit works great in my unheated garage. It puts out about as much heat as a 100 watt bulb and moves it around with a fan. Cheap as a light bulb to run. Keeping the air moving is important. Available in any boat store or online for about $50-$75. Good Luck!
Where in VT Tbrocco?

Quick Reply: Dew in my garage! What to do?