General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dew in my garage! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Nothing compared to getting it back up.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to worry about a little bit of moisture on my bike, good God!!! It's not like it's laying in a snowbank somewhere. My bike is waxed up and sitting on a lift waiting for me to give her a call. If a little dew happens then it will evaporate. She's in cold storage right now, probably the best way to keep it. IMHO...

Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
I have a HD cotton indoor storage cover over my bike in an un-heated (but very dry) garage. After reading this thread this morning checked my condensation status and yep, moisture everywhere on bike under high $$ cover.

Took a fan from storage and placed under bike for air circulation before I left for work today. I'll check it out in a few hours and see if this took care of problem.
Just walked in the door. Bike is now dry as a bone with a small fan circulating air. Thanks for the person who recommended this! Maybe next year I'll go with a long line of Chrismas lights wrapped around the bike instead?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and purchased a goldenrod (like you use in a gun safe). It only draws about 12 Watts, so energy use is minimal. It'll do the trick, although I was hoping someone might have an idea thatdidn't require electricity. Oh well, I guess I'll just run an extension cord out to the garage (it's detached and the nearest outlet is about 50 feet away... Thanks to all!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

All my toys have been stored in unheated garages for over 45 yrs,it takes very little TLC in the spring to ready them for the season.No matter what the cold season brings.Or you can constantly worry over a little condensation that hurt absolutely nothing!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by doublenaughtspy
I went and purchased a goldenrod (like you use in a gun safe). It only draws about 12 Watts, so energy use is minimal. It'll do the trick, although I was hoping someone might have an idea thatdidn't require electricity. Oh well, I guess I'll just run an extension cord out to the garage (it's detached and the nearest outlet is about 50 feet away... Thanks to all!
this requires no electric this is how I have my shed set-up no condensation

http://www.brucetimbrmart.ca/wood.html

Old 12-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Javawave
Tourer

I have it too, but I just stopped covering the bike. No more moisture on the bike with it uncovered. when it was covered it would be soaked.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
All my toys have been stored in unheated garages for over 45 yrs,it takes very little TLC in the spring to ready them for the season.No matter what the cold season brings.Or you can constantly worry over a little condensation that hurt absolutely nothing!
I made the error of storing my '75 Triumph Trident on its sidestand, instead of center stand. The "little condensation that can't hurt" ran down the rims and pooled at the bottom on the high side of the rim. Both rims pitted severely.

If moisture didn't hurt, you would never, ever, see a bit of rust on a bike. Lingering moisture also is very hard on polished aluminum.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

mnpgrider I have had this dew thang growing up in florida the chrome will rust only if crap chrome to begin with. My old classic car i had did not rust and it got moved or road less than the bike. You use a good wax once a year. Its still just a bike. geeesss.25,000 dollar bike/trailer queen. or a 500 dollar bike, if its that much of a problem make a place for the bike, car or lawn mower thats worth while or put it in your darn house or sell it. **** dam riders. mine is in a uninsulated garage, ooohhh nnnooo. and has been for years.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I haven't had that problem, but I open and close my garage door quite regularly (the over head door that is). Maybe equalizing the temperature inside and outside has something to do with that...

I do store my Trans Am in the same garage, and have for years with no moisture. Here in Oklahoma we do get huge wild swings in temperature too.

Quick Reply: Dew in my garage! What to do?