General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dew in my garage! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doublenaughtspy
Weird situation. I have a 30x40 detached garage/workshop, unheated, no electric (for now). The floor is sealed. Whenever the temps are right for dew on the ground outside, I get dew on the floor in the garage. I wouldn't be too concerned except for the fact that the Wide Glide also gets dew on it as a result. What can I do to keep this from happening? Putting a cover on it does not seem to help (maybe it's too loose?) What about putting carpet underneath it? Any thoughts would be appreciated. BTW, I live near Austin, TX in case that helps.
It's a motorcycle................don't you ride it all day out in the elements?What happens when it rains?.............it gets wet.I don't think a little dew or condensation will hurt it.It's ment to be exposed to these kind of things............wipe it down once in a while.No need to baby it..........just ride it.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 946 Posts

I'd be surprised if you had enough down time in Austin for anything evil to happen from the consensation inside the motor. Probably the same with the exterior, or maybe just God telling you to upgrade from the cheap cad plate to chrome hardware.

If you are going to store the bike for a long time and are concerned about repeated condensation drying cycles: you can squirt a little motor oil in the spark plug holes and spray the entire (metal) bike with LPS or similar. Machinery put up in cosmoline in the '40s is still rust free today.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Without reading this whole thread, don'tknow if this has been suggested, but buy a bike cover, and just lay a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb under the frame of the bike. Just the heat of the bulb will keep your bike dry. So get that power installed as soon as possible.

This is a constant problem in Mn, especially when the frost goes out in the spring of the year. At that time, we take the cover off and run a house fan, blowing directly on the cycles.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 12-27-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd try a de-humidifier with an extension cord....

Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd suggest you go outside to dew what you dew and then you won't have any dew dew in your garage.

Geez, the way some people live...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM
fliphd
Tourer
Location: West central Illinois in the Mississippi river bottoms
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure aint no scientist and I don't know everything, but think of your scooter like a cold can of Bud Lite on a humid summer day. The can of beer is cooler than the humid air therefore the moisture condenses on the cold beer can. (cooler cup) I just put a regular old window fan in the general direction of my scooters it works like a charm. Then when it goes back to freezin cold I'll go turn the fan off.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Lwb1376
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I had same problem,Now have a box fan runs 24/7 no moisture.Just keet the air moving.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmything
I'd try a de-humidifier with an extension cord....
That's a good soloution, but that can get pretty expensive I would think. No?

Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LucklessPedestrian
Got same thing this am because of the major warm up...I plan to fire her up later...the fan and light bulbs should do the trick...wasn't a problem until it went from freezing to almost 60, everything is just so damp
Same thing here in Chicago. I pulled the cover off and put a fan on it. The garage is pretty much a wet mess.
Went from about -5 to 60 in the last few days. Warm air to cold
metal=WET.
Sucks but what are you gonna do?
MikeM

Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 PM
topcanuck
Advanced

I spoke to someone earlier this year who stores a few collector cars in northern New York state. He recommends sitting the bike on a sheet of drywall covered with a plastic drop sheet. This is what I am trying this year - along with a loosely fitting cover to allow some circulation. So far, seems to be working great.

Quick Reply: Dew in my garage! What to do?