General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pedestrian killed by a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, buddha, although our driver's manual (Minnesota) states:

Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing at intersections and
crosswalks.

Another page says:

Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists
crossing the roadway.

That page doesn't say anything about them having to be in a crosswalk.

The law you quoted (I assume you're from MN, also?) has this exclusion:

(d) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section every driver of a vehicle shall (1) exercise due care to avoid colliding with any bicycle or pedestrian upon any roadway and (2) give an audible signal when necessary and exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person upon a roadway.

Sounds like it could be a judgement call by the officer on the scene.

Thanks for posting the statute number.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 01-01-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
depends if he was a UPS worker........
Or a DMV worker.

In CA the law states that a "crosswalk" is at EVERY intersection, whether it's marked or not. AND the pedestrian can be so many feet outside the crosswalk. Sorry I don't remember what that measurement is exactly, but I think it's like 100 feet.

So basically, if a person is crossing the street within 100 feet of an intersection or a marked crosswalk, that person is crossing legally and has the right of way.

I bet in this situation, or I'll say from the infor that we were provided, the rider will NOT be charged. But the family may still file a civil suit again him.

Here in Las Vegas, if you hit a pedestrian, it's NOT your fault. Vehicles have the right of way except IN a crosswalk. It's a great law, keep most idiots from running out in front of you.

Last edited by frankjake; 01-01-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The article made it sound like the pedestrian was crossing a MAJOR road where most drivers wouldn't think that a person would try to cross. similar situation to a parking lot or a reisdential neighborhood. The last two places you could always get a person to dart out in the pathway.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

In Ohio, if yer not in a cross walk, you're fair game

Old 01-02-2009, 08:17 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,601 Likes on 5,095 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
Or a DMV worker.

In CA the law states that a "crosswalk" is at EVERY intersection, whether it's marked or not. AND the pedestrian can be so many feet outside the crosswalk. Sorry I don't remember what that measurement is exactly, but I think it's like 100 feet.

So basically, if a person is crossing the street within 100 feet of an intersection or a marked crosswalk, that person is crossing legally and has the right of way.

I bet in this situation, or I'll say from the infor that we were provided, the rider will NOT be charged. But the family may still file a civil suit again him.

Here in Las Vegas, if you hit a pedestrian, it's NOT your fault. Vehicles have the right of way except IN a crosswalk. It's a great law, keep most idiots from running out in front of you.
my UPS comment was directed to our lovely moderator who is a UPS worker

Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

SMASH PACKAGE!!!!!! SMASH PACKAGE!!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
badlandr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK by reading the rest of that page it looks like peeps were being killing by every kind of transportation, MAN!
Main question is, was the Harley rider talking on his cell phone at the time? Sorry I had to.
What really is interesting to me is why did the writer feel the need to put in the make of the bike that hit the person??? More Harley hate in the press?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,601 Likes on 5,095 Posts

We need more female UPS workers

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
badlandr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
i must be the only one that is disgusted the way the news reports that a motorcycle, train, suv, et. Al., "killed" someone.

Folks, those are inanimate objects incapable of doing anything on their own. Each accident is by caused a person, not a "thing". In the case above it can be argued who is the perp and who is the victim but the harley is blameless.

Conditioning the reader to blame the object rather than the person is how we become desensitized to ridiculous legislation that attempts to make our lives "safer" while taking away our individual freedoms.

People become sheeple.
+1 agree

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by badlandr
OK by reading the rest of that page it looks like peeps were being killing by every kind of transportation, MAN!
Main question is, was the Harley rider talking on his cell phone at the time? Sorry I had to.
What really is interesting to me is why did the writer feel the need to put in the make of the bike that hit the person??? More Harley hate in the press?
True, when it's a sportbike, they don't say which manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Pedestrian killed by a Harley