General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pedestrian killed by a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must be the only one that is disgusted the way the news reports that a motorcycle, train, SUV, et. al., "killed" someone.

Folks, those are inanimate objects incapable of doing anything on their own. Each accident is by caused a person, not a "thing". In the case above it can be argued who is the perp and who is the victim but the Harley is blameless.

Conditioning the reader to blame the object rather than the person is how we become desensitized to ridiculous legislation that attempts to make our lives "safer" while taking away our individual freedoms.

People become Sheeple.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Well did you read the rest of the stories below this one, seems Darwin is well at work out there, sad that some of the award winners are taking others with them. Hope this guy is okay, suprised nobody inquired about the bike. As far as bailing out Kalifornia, I say F' em, they spent this money giving illegals every aid and benefit they could, obstruct the federal government at every turn (when they actually try to do something), have a complete freak show in the bay area, boo service members in the airport or not even allow them to land, spend more money on their state government than Japans economy. Now they want my money, or more likely my great grand kids money, F'em. Sorry about the rider, all you good folks get out of the abortion of a state as soon as you can.

Oh same goes for NYC
Hey, at least California doesn't have a tiered fine with a minimum of $1,000 for a wheelie or a plate that is vertical as opposed to horizontal. Time magazine stated in 2004 that illegal immigration accelerated with the US gaining 3 million additional illegal immigrant residents in that year. A third of all illegal immigrants in the US live in California. Other states with large illegal populations are, in descending order, Texas, New York, Illinois, Florida and Arizona. Florida has its share of problems too.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Sniper!

The correlation can be made for guns also but I won't get into that.

Perhaps if the motorcycle were a metric instead of a Harley, the pedestrian would be alive since the plastic metric would of just imploded...
Just kidding. Trying to add a little levity to a horrible subject.

Originally Posted by sniper77
I must be the only one that is disgusted the way the news reports that a motorcycle, train, SUV, et. al., "killed" someone.

Folks, those are inanimate objects incapable of doing anything on their own. Each accident is by caused a person, not a "thing". In the case above it can be argued who is the perp and who is the victim but the Harley is blameless.

Conditioning the reader to blame the object rather than the person is how we become desensitized to ridiculous legislation that attempts to make our lives "safer" while taking away our individual freedoms.

People become Sheeple.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Loud pipes?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazing, read all the names involved in those "incident" reports and you'd think it was in Mexico.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster

Oh same goes for NYC
Same goes for South Florida.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:26 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,601 Likes on 5,095 Posts

update with your typical comments,even the son of the dad who was the HD rider
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...6-no-headline/

Old 12-26-2008, 09:55 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hope the rider heals quickly.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 12-26-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Maybe I missed something but I didn't see in any of the links that the rider was being charged or even investigated.
I don't think he is charged. I was just reading the comments attached to the article though, pretty wild.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that this happened in Kalifornia I can see that a couple things will happen--

-Pedestrians required to wear airbag vests, reflective clothing and carry a pole with a rotating warning light when crossing streets.

-Motorcycles (not all, just Harleys) required to be retrofitted with safety bumpers, airbags, accident avoidance equipment (radar) and preceded when on public streets at all times by a man on foot carrying a warning sign.

Quick Reply: Pedestrian killed by a Harley