General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer in the South

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Summer in the South

I know the southern state riders enjoy "reminding" us cold weather folks about how great their winter riding season is, but for our southern friends, what is the worst part of riding in the summer?

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 12-25-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Fear Night
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
but for our southern freinds, what is the worst part of riding in the summer?
Coming to a stop

Old 12-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fear Night
Coming to a stop
Heat, humidity, LOVE BUGS!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man, thank god the love bugs only come twice a year!

The humidity is rough, but you'll deal with that everywhere in the Summer time. The afternoon downpours can be rough to deal with if you get stuck in one.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
Heat, humidity, LOVE BUGS!
Lived in Pascagoula, NOW I know why ya'll t-a-l-k and m-o-v-e s-o s-l-o-w. Like tryin' to breathe under water. Course, we can git like that occasssionally up here, but NOT weeks on end. And actually not as bad on the 'coast' as inland a ways.

And for once, YOU are in the 'minority'. Yesterday on the news, 55% of the U.S. has snow cover. Nana-na-nana !!!!

Well, N JOY the ride.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the summer, there are quite a few northern states, that also get hot and humid. The difference in the south is, we are use to warmer weather year round, so when the middle of summer is here we are more conditioned for the extra heat and humidity. People living up north have to constantly adjust to different temperature extremes.
We spent a week in Redwing, MN, a few summers ago. It was hotter up there, then in SW Florida.
Last year we were in Missouri, at the Lake of the Ozarks. It was so hot and humid there, we didn't want to spend anytime out side.
Tom

Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
In the summer, there are quite a few northern states, that also get hot and humid. The difference in the south is, we are use to warmer weather year round, so when the middle of summer is here we are more conditioned for the extra heat and humidity. People living up north have to constantly adjust to different temperature extremes.
We spent a week in Redwing, MN, a few summers ago. It was hotter up there, then in SW Florida.
Last year we were in Missouri, at the Lake of the Ozarks. It was so hot and humid there, we didn't want to spend anytime out side.
Tom
Trust me, several times we have pulled over and jumped in the Lake Ozark to cool off!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya get used to being wet, it rains almost every afternoon down here in the summer. Small price to pay though.I feel for my Yankee brothers I wouldn't be able to not ride for a couple of days at the time much less the whole winter. I'd be a lot nuttier then I am now!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
I know the southern state riders enjoy "reminding" us cold weather folks about how great their winter riding season is, but for our southern friends, what is the worst part of riding in the summer?
Not a damn thing. Really. Let it downpour...all that does is cool it off a little bit and after the rainclouds are gone if you're still riding it just dries you off.
Bring on the bugs, also not a problem (at least to me).
Like someone else said, I guess the only real problem with summer riding here in the south is 'stopping'...that's when one begins to sweat!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The absolute worst part of riding in the summer here in TN is knowing it won't last and dreaded winter in right around the corner. I used to ride all winter, but now that I have a bit of un-wanted maturity on me, I hate winter more each year.
Marsh

Quick Reply: Summer in the South