General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer in the South

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ramps, tennessee oysters, and mulengeons

Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see,100 deg,100% humidity can be tough but I still would not swap for northern winters snow and ice.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:01 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

In North Carolina, rain makes everything MORE humid.... doesn't cool things off... As many folks stop riding here in the summer, as stop riding in the winter..... Everyone has their limit.... I stop more often for water, or a sports drink in the summer, and for hot cocoa in the winter, but except for a hurricane, or an ice storm, I'm riding.
I've been hotter in NJ, had more humidity in LA, and been colder in both states... NC is a comfortable compromise for this "DAYUM yankee"

Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

The worst thing about riding in the south in summer..... YANKEES....either the vacationing kind who can't drive for crap or the bluehaired relocated kind who drive in the left lane at 40 mph and are unaware that anyone besides them exists in the universe. Yankees toend to believe any space larger that 3 feet between you and the car in front of you is more than enough space to get their car into.

The heat and humidity we are used to, the thunderstorms are a fact of life and can be refreshing. But like daddyknuck, please let me warn all yo Yankees to stay away, you won't like it here, stay up north. AS we say, Yankees are a lot like hemmorhoids, when they come down and go back up, they're not too bad but when they come down and stay, they're a real pain in the azz.

Bubba

Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM
tano01
Road Captain

Tourists in cars...ARRRGHH. They rubber neck and screw up traffic and make it exponentially more dangerous for us on two wheels. Two wheeled tourists are more than welcome in my book.

Other than that the days where it gets hotter instead of cooler when you are riding. No nice wind to cool you off.

I will take it over the cold any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

You don't want to get stuck in traffic when it's that hot out. Sitting on a black leather seat when it's been baking in the sun is a little uncomfortable at first.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
[/b]

I think you broke the code. Just replying to confirm the opinions of people that think if they have ridden from Orlando to Tampa they have ridden the South. Not much in the way of cannibalism, flesh eating virus' or Klan rallies here either.

We live about 50 miles south of the Deal's Gap and with the exception of a handful of days can ride year round if you don't mind getting wet. Deal's is near the bottom of the list of where locals want to ride, but it does stimulate the economy. And I see those Dragon decals on bikes from everywhere at Sturgis. But don't tell anyone. Water dogs?
Yep...broke the code...and, here ya had done such a good job on yer public service announcement. Crapshooter must be a transplant...ya know...a "damn yankee".

Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Yep...broke the code...and, here ya had done such a good job on yer public service announcement. Crapshooter must be a transplant...ya know...a "damn yankee".
Nothin' wrong with yankees. Use the right marinade and slow cook 'em....delicious!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:00 PM
grumman581
Advanced

The heat and humidity can be dealt with... Keep your bagger full of ice and beer for the heat... For the humidity, we tend to develop gills so that we can breathe the water soaked 'air' that we have down here on the Gulf Coast... The worst part about riding in the South is all those liberal Yankees that refuse to go back up to the Frozen North where they belong... Some of them actually have the nerve to move here and then try to convert our culture to what they had back up there in the Frozen North (minus the snow shovels).... We call those folks Damn Yankees... Hell, we're still trying to get rid of the decendents of the ones who came down here after the War Of Northern Aggression and the screwed up laws that their leftist agenda left us with...

Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
grumman581
Advanced

Oh, winters can be a bit interesting in some parts of the South... Temperatures will sometimes drop down into the 20Fs and it will be RAINING... That wet cold really sinks into the bones...

Quick Reply: Summer in the South