General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Beerninja
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Question

Ok now that I have my bike I want to start working on it, but here is the catch...

I have only the basic tools set so far, as in I have a standard wrench and socket set, some normal screw drivers, an allen wrench set, and a few pairs of pliers.

With that said what are some MUST HAVE tools that I just will not be able to get by without.

I want to do as much work myself as possible.

One of my first things to get will be a motorcycle jack/stand

Other then that I have no idea what I might need in the course of getting my hands dirty.

Any help would be great, I thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Beerninja; 12-23-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better grab some metric tools and a GOOD set of Torx drivers. There are many Torx fasteners on the bike. At first glance they look like allen head fasteners but they aren't. Also a factory service/repair manual for your model bike is a MUST if you plan on doing your own work.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Beerninja
Tourer

Yeah I am waiting for my manual to show up at the stealers, I have a couple of tork bits but not many, looks like I will be getting me a set. Didn't expect to find much metric on the bike but then again I shouldn't be surprised lol

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Sears yellow lift. Find out what size socket you need for the fork caps and get one. Get a set of Torx and Allen drivers. I'd buy a small soldering iron and a multi-meter too. Keep an eye on Sears tool sales and pick up a complete set of wrenches and sockets when the price makes sense. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I love being able to do my own work. By all means, get a Service Manual if you don't already have one. Enjoy the sense of accomplishment you'll earn by doing your own work.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget a couple of decent torque wrenches: one in inch-pounds, and one in foot-pounds. A oil filter wrench is also a good idea. Doesn't need to be HD, but similar.

Oh ya, pick up a few o-rings for the oil drain and tranny drain plugs and stick 'em in your tool pouch that you carry on your bike.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

you need some torx tip sockets and torx tip drivers. They are the funny star looking tools, similar to allens but different. Sears makes a nice Motorcycle lift. That should cover you for basic servicing. There are a few specialty tools that you might need in the future depending on how in depth you want to go. Things such as clutch hub pullers and belt deflection guages. Your owners manual will be able to tell you when you are going to need things like that. Also order the maintenance and repair manual for your paticular model and the Parts breakdown manual. If you want to get into reprogramming the fuel injection, then you will need a fuel management module. but the basic tools will get you started. One other thing, you might want to get the oil filter wrench that Harley sells, you can use a regular one but if you slip its real easy to break wires.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
fixxr
Road Captain

As the Bowtieman said "Get A GOOD Repair Manual"Get that first!Any one can take it apart!It's putting it back together right that counts!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Beerninja
Tourer

Sweet thank you all, I just sold my pool table today so I gave my new ride a real home with a nice black carpet to roll on, my mission for tomorrow is to go through my tool box that has not seen alot of action in a long time, and weed out all the junk and get it set up for when my manual finaly shows up and I can get to work.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

When buying the torx bit set check to see if in includes a T27 bit. Most sets skip this bit size and you are going to need one (or 2).

Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

It's not a bad idea to get yourself thr HD parts manual as well. It will give you a more detailed and broken down part by part picture/description. Good luck and don't worry the local Harley Stealer will always be happy to help you for $ 90.00 per hour if you can't figure something out.

Quick Reply: Tool Question