General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshift versus braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Downshift versus braking

I ride with a guy who pulls in his clutch and uses only his hand and foot brakes to come to a stop, despite how controlled it is.

I have always thought it better to downshift and let out the clutch, allowing the engine to slow me down (when sufficient time and warning allow), with an occasional tap on the brakes to let the traffic behind me know I'm slowing. He says I'm prematurely wearing the engine. I say he is wasting brakes.

Which one of us is right?

Opinions please...

Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 PM
jbe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Downshift versus braking

I always down shift and let the engine do some of the braking. I did the same when I drove a tractor trailer. I could slow it down almost to a stop using the gears and the jake brake. That was under ideal conditions and no idiots around. I agree with with you, your buddy is using the brakes a lot.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:26 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wellllll brake pads ARE cheaper than engines. BUT, what happens if midway into a stop, you get the opportunity to go again (the light changes or whatever)? You are in the right gear, he isn't.

I gotta go with you on this one.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Been downshifting for years. Why break when your engine will do the job, and you have to change gears anyway. If your freind ever needs to get out of the way in a hurry he may find that he isn't turning enough R's..........

Old 04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well from what I learned from MSF course is you should allow to do engine braking instead of only brakes. If you notice when you actually pull the clutch in the bike actually speeds up and if you need to break fast that might not be a good idea. It is more efficient to use the engine braking along with the brakes to get the bike stopped properly.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I downshift when I can but using the brake make me feel more in control of the bike.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding for over 30 years, have always down shifted when slowing. My last bike had close to 90,000 miles and no problems. As long as you don't over rev, I don't see where it hurts a thing. Most riding courses teach you to down shift when slowing.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
spartns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta go with the downshifters on this. Let the engine do some of the braking.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the newer bikes, not downshifting isn't a problem but with older bikes and some new metrics, the transmissions operate better with downshifting at speed rather than all at once. As a result, that's how I learned to ride. I do both, downshift and use the brakes.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:51 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

local dealer told me to extend brake and tire life, anticipate your stops especially at highway speed. pull the clutch in and let the bike slow on it's own if practical. use the front brake for most stopping only using the rear brake for extreme stopping. using the front only will extend the life of your rear tire and rear brake. hard habit to break for older riders who rode bikes with drum brakes when we hardly ever used the front brake.

Quick Reply: Downshift versus braking